Cut and Paste

I agree with most of the comments but i like to think of this from a writing aspect.The last song i wrote was kind of a work in progress.Took me months to finish mainly cause i was trying to make it too complicated.I ended up getting inspired again by just simplifying and before i knew it i had finished up with a song i enjoy.

With me recording is more of a tool.Cut & paste,punch in/out,or having to do multiple takes gives me the abilty to push my playing to new levels.It's a rough draft.I'll get everything the way i want it to sound,burn a disc,then practice my a$$ off to play it well.Then i'll go back & record it for real.

How many of us have recorded those mistakes though that ended up sounding awesome.The little nuance that at first sounded strange like your fingers sliding across the strings but you came to identify with as part of the song.Sometimes those little flubs help to make the song and just can't be duplicated again the same way if you tried.

In a case like this maybe putting part of a scratch track in the mix and using some cut & paste may be the only way to achieve what you've gotten accustomed to hearing.The human equation may get lost if rerecorded.If used from a creative perspective i don't think of it as being any different then putting a sound clip in to enhance the tune.

My general philosophy is that I can live with an imperfection if the soul is there.

When I recorded a guitar solo for my album a few weeks back, there were several imperfections, but this is after me listening back to the midi I wrote for the past 4 years, so in my mind, that was how it should have sound. But my mind quickly adjusted, and I like the recorded version.

Back