Custom, or Custom Custom?

Kevzmusic

Yo,

I'm thinking of putting a SD Custom, or Custom Custom in the bridge of my Les Paul, to go along with an Alnico II Pro (neck)...

But, I just can't decide which one to get....

So please gimmee your thoughts...

I want a hard-driving, tight, clear, bridge pup for 80's heavy-rock kinda stuff (ie: a Maiden type vibe).......but I don't want it to sound harsh or brittle...

I've read/heard that the CC has a smoother/warmer edge than the Custom, but can it really cut thru the MIX as well...

Are any of you folks using these two pups?, IF so, which one do ya think is best for MY needs, and why.

Mucho thanks in advance,

Cheers,

KEV

They are both good pickups. It is a matter of personal preference. I would guess you would want the Custom Custom, which is a hotter pickup, which makes for a more aggressive sound, but that is just a guess.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Aaron Cheney said:
Hey Kevz,

Once you make your decision, let me know how it goes. I'm trying to decide which 'bucker to stick in my axe as well.

Aaron
www.aaroncheney.com

Hi Aaron,

I just checked out your website...seems like you are a talented guy...and a busy one too - that's cool.....power to ya!

Regarding the humbuckers, I haven't yet decided whether to get the SD CUSTOM, or the new SD CUSTOM 5, for the bridge.

The C5, is supposed to be somewhere in the middle between the Custom and Custom Custom...and might be worth checking out...Apparently it's quite powerful, has good clarity and a bit more wamth than the Custom, which is hotter and more attacking.

The CC is too muddy/thick for my lead work.

I may go for the C5 :)

Have you had any experience with the C5, or know anyone who uses it? I'd like to get some opinions on it - if possible...

Cheers,

KEV

For what it’s worth…

I have an Epi Les Paul with an A2pro in the neck and a CC in the bridge. I have found this combination to be very smooth and kind of pretty. The CC doesn’t seem muddy, more like a mid edge with the top rolled off. The Alnico II magnets are much smother then anything else I have used. Sometimes almost too smooth.

In fact, last week I was working with another guitar player. He has probably forty plus years as a professional guitar player and he actually asked me if I had some special effect to make it sound like a 335. Of course I don’t, just the Epi into a Pod Pro 2.3.

The CC doesn’t seem muddy, more like a mid edge with the top rolled off.

Yeah, that's what I don't like....I want my lead work to cut right thru the mix, and not have that kinda thick/fuzzy edge that many mid-gain tones seem to have.

Slash uses the Alinco Pro II in both the neck and bridge, exclusively, it suites his style well, but has a somewhat 'rounded' edge...

I like a glassy top edge, not harsh, but crystal clear with a sharpness to it...

Think John Sykes (Whitesnake, Blue Murder), or Dave Murry (Iron Maiden) or a number of other 80's style hard rockers.....(not to be confused with Metal, coz metal they ain't!!!! :)

KEV

Most people in the Seymour Duncan forum will tell you to use the same magnet in both the neck and the bridge location. I’m not sure how that is going to apply with the Custom since it’s a ceramic magnet… It might match up better with a Alnico 5 magnet in the neck. People mix and match all the time though so it depends on what you want to do.

The Custom is definitely going to give you more top end and a meaner distortion. Something in between would be the Custom 5, or the JB. The common answer for a neck pickup with one of these is a 59 or a Jazz.

Do you need a high output pickup? Most people who want a glassy top edge, not harsh, but crystal clear with a sharpness to it... get the pearly gates.

If you haven’t already, spend some time here

Another thing to note is that most players in the 80s used the JB. It was just the pickup of choice and actually is still the number 1 seller.

I'm putting an Alinco Pro II in the neck......

and will decide between the Custom or C5 for the bridge...
(they both have identical windings, etc)..it's just the magnets that are diff of course, so I could just switch that...IF one doesn't suite.

I'm favouring the Custom, coz I hear it's got the most difinitve, tighter botton-end crunch...which is good for all those palm/muted chugger rhythms, etc...

Also, I like to pull off a squeal when doing lead riffs, whilst at the same time, gently resting the edge of the little finger (right picking hand) on the string, which creates a 'harmonic' rip...so, with a hot pickup it works a lot easier/better...

KEV

Something else to keep in mind is the balance between the neck and bridge pickup. With the A2 in the neck and the Custom in the Bridge the bridge will be louder then the neck. Personally I like this but it is something to consider. If this volume change is not what you want you can go with two balanced pickups and just turn up your gain, compression and distortion. Eq can be an issue as well. I used to have a 59 (compared as a lighter version of the C5) in the bridge with my A2 in the neck. It’s a bad combination but it’s what I had laying around. Basically the problem was that the 59 was too bright and the A2 was too muddy so I always used the middle position. I couldn’t select a different pickup without changing my amp.

Either the custom or the custom 5 sounds perfect as long as it will match up with how you want to interface with the A2.

Last edited:
My personal favorite combination, at least among the Seymour Duncans, is the Alnico II in the neck, and the Pearly Gates in the Bridge. I have this in two guitars now, and they are both killer sounding guitars. I am very happy with them both.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Back