Curse of the Pharaohs!!! (and a question for John)

Here's a closeup of the pattern. We found this in a fabric store the other day, and it was just too cool to say "no" to!

Attachments

• curse 2.jpg
    curse 2.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 147
Ok, so here's my question:

We're putting bass traps under the soffits, made from acoustic hangars. I figured it might be a good idea to continue those hangars all the way across the front of the room, making it one giant trap. You can see the start of the framework in this pic. YES, it will make a turn and continue flush with the soffits.

My main question is: Now that I've got this framework, it seems I have a shelf running between the two soffits (albeit a low one)... is this thing going to cause me problems acoustically?

Attachments

• curse 3.jpg
    curse 3.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 144
That should be OK mate - nice place to put my drink :) You realise that the front baffle should continue to the port at the bottom??

cheers
john

Yes. What you're seeing is only a framework right now. There'll be a layer of wood, insulation & cloth all the way across the front.

Question

I am a little confused....

I thought that the front baffle of the soffit should be timber finish. It looks like there is insulation then cloth on the ones in your pictures.

Am I musunderstanding Johns design?

Thanks
Ryan

Re: Question

rsb said:

I thought that the front baffle of the soffit should be timber finish. It looks like there is insulation then cloth on the ones in your pictures.

Thanks
Ryan
If I understand correctly, the "timber finish" is just a trim out piece around the speaker soffit.

No - this is not my design - My design would be to have a layer of plywood covered with a second layer of timber as a finish. That's what left bank was - in the pics you see the plywood before the veenered finish was applied. (Must get a photo of that as it looks cool ;) )

cheers
John

Re: Question

rsb said:

Thanks
Ryan

Actually, it can be either. All depends on what you want, I guess. I've seen examples of both types on John's site.

-0z-

John Sayers said:
...My design would be to have a layer of plywood covered with a second layer of timber as a finish. ...
cheers
John
Ah, I see said the blindman!
That would look very cool indeed.

AH - OZ those pics of Sonar are deceptive. It was len's idea to cover the plywood with cloth cos he liked the look - it's only thin cloth over plywood. Otherwise it's to plan.

cheers
john

Oh great - NOW you tell me:)

Well, it's a pretty thin layer of insulation to begin with. If it winds up sounding bad, I can always remove it and keep the cloth over the O.S.B.

I'll let you know how it works out!

-0z-

Back