curiosity re: latency

jimmychan

I know even from really just starting out that sound card latency etc is a major bug-bear with computer recording - got mine down to 30ms and it's still noticeable! But I was just wondering, what, from a listener's perspective, is a noticeable latency. I suppose I mean, for example, the latency between a pure GM Midi sound and any audio - what would be the smallest noticeable gap between a midi click and audio that was SUPPOSED to line up with the midi click? If you get what i mean....

Hi Jimmy,

Ni hao ma? any relation to JackieChan? (bad Chinese joke) :D

30ms should not be noticable(unless you have super ears!)

Anyway, what soundcard and software are u using?

The latency you're talking about should not be 'audible'. You'll notice it when you do things like move a fader and it doesn't respond instantaneously. But all your audio will still sync with about zero latency between tracks.

An exception is 'live input processing'. If you are running FX on your live input, 30ms will introduce a noticeable delay.

About 15-20ms is the amount of time the human ear needs to hear 2 distinct sounds. But we do perceive time intervals shorter than that. In highly rythmic music, there is a noticable difference if a track is off by 10ms or less.

jimmychan said:
not chinese, spent some time in japan.

SB Live, cubase, win98se, 1.3ghz processor, 512mb ram.

30ms is probably the best a SB Live card can do. If you want to reduce that, you should consider an upgrade to a more pro-level card like an Audiophile 2496 which has solid ASIO driver support.

When using the Audiophile and ASIO drivers with programs like NI FM7, Reason and Fruity Loops there is not noticeable delay on my system.

Back