Cubasis VST 2.0 and Mac OSX

Michaelyu5

Hello...I usually keep my postings to the Newbie section but I thought you may be able to help me.
I have a Mac G3 and am planning to buy Cubasis VST 2.0 for it due to money constraints. I am new at this and have bottom line analog stuff currently:

Tascam Portastudio 4 track
ART MPV pre amp
Behringer Eurorack MX802A mixer
Shure SM 57 and a couple cheap mics

I believe I can run my mics through the pre, into the mixer and then into the computer to run on Cubasis. Here are my questions:

Does VST 2.0 run on OSX or OS 9? I have OS X
What is the cheapest way to convert analog to digital signal?
( I am looking at a product I saw in Musicians Friend: EDIROL US-1A USB
Audio Interface - product number 708073D)
Will this convert my analog signal from my mixer to the software?

I am out of my league here so any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. If it matters, Im recording acoustic and vocals and some percussion.

Thanks in advance,

Michael (NEWBIE)

Unfortunately, even the latest versions of Cubase and Cubasis are not (yet) OS X native to my knowledge. Neither are Logic Audio or Pro Tools for that matter. The only major audio recording and editing programs I've seen that are OS X compatible at the moment are the latest versions of BIAS Peak and Deck, and even then the VST plugins that give you most of your effects are themselves not OS X compatible. So in short...most audio work still has to be done under OS 9.2 until more stuff is updated to OS X.

As for the Edirol unit, I'm not too familiar with it so I can't say for sure if it'd work with Cubase under OS 9.2...hope this post helps though.
-Frank

Back