Cubasis 4.0 Newbie Question

matt99

Hi
I've just got cubasis 4.0. My set up is a Tosh Pent4 Laptop with more than enough requirements.
I use a Fostex MR8 Digital Multitrack recorder which can send wav tracks to PC. Can i load the wav tracks onto Cubasis. How would I do this.

Also if i was just recording straight onto Cubasis, can it be done without external equipment. For example can a VST instrument be chosen and worked manually just from the computers keyboard. Also how would i use my electric guitar or microphone with Cubasis. Do I need a specific connection into the PC or do they have to be connected to something external first.

As you can see, i'm very new to it all. So at the moment i'm just reading the Cubasis Manual.
Cheers for any help

Hi Matt,

I just took a quick look at the Fostex specs and it appears you can connect directly to your computer through the USB port [USB Connector: B type (data save/load controlled from PC)
]. Did your Fostex come with any software for controlling it from the PC? If so, you can probably use this to dump raw .wav files onto your hardrive and then import them in to Cubasis.

To properly use the VST instruments I suggest you purchase any number of inexpensive USB midi controllers available. Check this one out to give you an idea of what I'm talking about: M Audio Ozone USB Audio/MIDI Mobile Workstation Keyboard. This is no preference of mine, and there are many other makes and models, so make sure you do your homework.

As for recording straight into the computer, you're going to need some type of A/D-D/A converter. Whether it's the sound card that came with your laptop, or an external audio interface. In any event the OZONE could also take care of this for you as well.

Hope this helps.

bigB

Back