Cubase VST32 and WindowsXP

zimbo

I wish to get back into home recording. In the past I've used cubse vst32 and windows xp to produce great results
Is there a way of still using Cubase with windows xp?
I realise windows xp is discontinued. However, I won't need any microsoft updates because I won't be accessing the internet.

Cubase needs the internet - no dongles any longer, plus of course 32 bit VSTis have been gone for ages. If you find an old version with an old parallel port dongle it might work? That limits it to what? SX3? Plus no latest VSTs, effects, plug-ins or the really cool stuff. I'm not sure you'd even get modern interfaces running on that system. Why hamstring yourself with 20 yr+ old technology?

One reason NOT to be using WinXP is the memory limitation. You're stuck with 3.2GB. A new OS handles more memory, which means the ability to use more modern programming. 8GB is pretty much bottom of the barrel on systems today. Many are 16GB or more. Plus, as Rob said, much hardware today doesn't support XP with drivers.

Win 10 will sunset in a year so there won't be any updates after that. If you won't be on the internet, then you don't need to worry about updates anyway. Once you get the system up and running, turn off updates and unplug it from the world. You'll have a system with very good capability and should be good for years to come.

Back