Cubase VST Files

prometheuswire

I have record several songs with Cubase VST 5.0. I tried to organize such that all the .WAV (all audio, no midi) files for a certain song were in the same file however, some where along the line I messed up. Now all the files are spread out in different subdirectories, this is especially painfully with all the overdubbing done. I still hear everything fine because the .all (song files) keep it organized but it is a logistically nightmare.

***To make a long question short***

How do I take a track that has punch ins and save it as one track?

If I remember correctly, Cubase chooses the audio folder only the first time you open the program. Beyond that, everytime you open a song you have to tell it what audio file to work in or else it will assume you want to continue using the same folder. This ends up in a logistical nightmare if you're not careful because you can't just drag and drop the files around in windows(not user friendly). Make sure you choose the audio folder first, don't wait until you're saving the program and that should keep it organized for you.

Yes, when I created a song I selected a folder for audio. However, somewhere along the line files were placed in the wrong directories.

That really isn't the problem now though. What I am concerned about is that I have punched in several times (replace mode) for different tracks and instead of having one continous audio file for one track, I have several audio files for one track. When in playback, the song sounds fine, but I imagine if I want to have this mastered or if I want to get more organized I would just want to have one auido file (.WAV) for one track.

How do I get cubase to take all of my punch ins for one track and save them as one file?

Thanks for the reply
Courtney

just a newbie to cubase but...

I'm thinking you can use the glue tube to paste the parts together on the same track. Would that work?

prometheuswire said:
Yes, when I created a song I selected a folder for audio. However, somewhere along the line files were placed in the wrong directories.

You need to select the audio file each time you open a song file. When you change songs it does not automatically change the audio files folder for you.

prometheuswire said:
What I am concerned about is that I have punched in several times (replace mode) for different tracks and instead of having one continous audio file for one track, I have several audio files for one track. When in playback, the song sounds fine, but I imagine if I want to have this mastered or if I want to get more organized I would just want to have one auido file (.WAV) for one track.

How do I get cubase to take all of my punch ins for one track and save them as one file?

Lemon Tree is right about using the glube tube to paste tracks back together. Use the export audio feature to mix down any number of your tracks with the effects and mixer automation for making a file to get mastered.

Back