Cubase - Version Help

Kertbert

I've currently got Cubase LE4 with it's associated limited plug-ins. I'm ready to get serious with more pro level soft mixing tools and soft instruments/effects.

My plan was to cover sounds and effects with Komplete 6 and then get some kind of Waves like package for compression, eq, reverb, etc. and continue using Cubase LE4 since I haven't hit any limitations on it yet (that I know of...).

Then I was advised by the local music store dude to get Cubase 5 instead of Waves (or similar) since it comes with a bunch of soft mixing tools that are decent (can users confirm the decency of these?).

So if I get Komplete 6, do I need to get the full Cubase 5 version, or since I wouldn't need the extra VSTi's does Cubase Studio 5 have enough for me. But then are there soft mixing tools in the full version that aren't in Studio that people love to use?

I searched on this site and checked out the version comparison on the Steinberg site but my noobiness can easily overlook some essential function on the full version that I'll hate myself for missing later.

The one thing that you get with Cubase 5 (not sure if it's in the Studio version) is the compressor which is VST3 now and most importantly allows proper sidechaining.

If you don't care for sidechaining, then I'd say the cubase built-in plugs are pretty basic. Although Reverence convolution reverb is pretty good.

My question is why Waves? And more specifically which Waves bundle? Depending on what you're looking for, Waves would probably offer better/different tools. I like their Rennaissance EQ and Compressor for example, but they're not really neutral sounding, which to me is the point.

As far as compression goes, my go-to compressor for drums and synth-bass is UAD 1176LN.

Now, beyond typical mixing stuff, you can some cool tools with Cubase 5 that aren't in the other versions. For example, you get two types of pitch correction utilities, one functions kinda like autotune and is a plugin, the other is more like Melodyne and is built-into the sample editor. The one that works like Melodyne is perfect for beyond pitch correction stuff as it offers great possibilities for general mayhem. :D

Having said all that, the basic mixing tools that come with Cubase 5 are OK for basic mixing stuff, and their quality is definitely better than what I had with Cubase SX 2.

So, there are a bunch of differences that I don't think I need to care about such as Surround Sound capabilities. Maybe there are some that people find useful that I don't know about.

But for the $200 (Cdn) difference between Studio 5 and Cubase 5, the things that may or may not be worth it for me are:

A) VariAudio
B) 19 out of 58 Audio Plugins: Cloner, DeEsser (SPL), EnvelopeShaper, Expander, GEQ-10, GEQ-30, Mix6to2, MixConvert, ModMachine, Multiband Compressor, Multiscope, REVerence, SMPTE Generator, Soft Clipper, Studio EQ, Surround Panner, Test Generator, Tonic, Vintage Compressor.
C) other things I've overlooked...

Any must haves in this lot? If so, for what applications are they your go-to tool?

And, if I had the choice of just getting Cubase 5 or getting Studio 5 and a decent cheap outboard compressor like the RNC, what do people think has the most value/utility for that $200 difference?

I didn't think they were worth the money and I still don't think they'd be. I don't yet have any plans of upgrading from studio to full version.

1) Variaudio would be nice (to me it would be number one thing to get the full version), but cubase studio has a pitch correction plugin which can do much of the same things (though not all and it may be more hard to do).
2) Those plugins don't sound that important. Many of them (like de-esser) you can find free in internet.
3) Surround, well, I dont even have surround speakers and as long as you are not doing sound track stuff I don't know what you'd really do with it.
4) I think there was some monitoring things but I guess one needs them only in a real recording studio.

If you are pro, get the full version, if you are not, studio version should be at least enough. You can always upgrade later, but I don't think you need to.

2) Those plugins don't sound that important. Many of them (like de-esser) you can find free in internet.

Yeah, Cubase's de-esser is really not the best out there. It's very limited, and doesn't work as well as it should.

Back