Cubase transposes my keyboard!!!

DavidUK93

Hi - I am using cubase on a pc and it is great for recording midi. However, a I have tried to record the audio output (using the headphones output) of my Yamaha keyboad, as some of its voices are very nice. But each time I record the Yamaha onto an audio track in cubase, it is transposed against my wishes! Does anyone have any ideas about this?
Thanks
David
www.christmasideas.biz

Wow. Sample rate issue maybe? That's all I can think of, and even that doesn't make much sense - there's usually enough coordination...

Maybe if Cubase is set to a sample rate that your soundcard doesn't support???

Daf

Yeah, it sounds like a sample-rate thing. The greater the difference between the two sample rates, the greater the difference in your "transposed" pitch will be. Just curious, are you using a Soundblaster/Audigy card? They, AFAIK, default to a sample rate of 48Khz, and Cubase, on install, AFAIK, defaults to a sample rate of 44.1khz. Perhaps there is your problem?

Chris

cubase transposing...

Thanks for the suggestions. Iwill get the manuals out and check the sample rates. The transposition, by the way, is one half of a semi-tone. What makes this tricky is that in western music, a semitone is the smallest unit dealt in - so I dont think I can get Cubase to put the audio track back down by half a semitone: it is not a recognised unit.

I have done one recording now, and taken the Yamaha audio track off. But when it is exported to audio and then burnt onto a CD (128 CD quality) in .wma, then played back over ordinary computer-type speakers, the quality suffers enormously compared to how it sounded on the near-field monitors. I know it is a lot to ask, but any suggestions? You can hear a one minute sample, attached to my website (link below). I did have plans to try to sell a CD of Christmas Carols...but the quality of the finished product is not what I reallly thought it would be!

Thanks for any comments again
David
www.christmasideas.biz

Back