Cubase SX3 + Dual/Quad core?

BRIEFCASEMANX

Winner chicken dinner!
I'm looking to buy a new computer, and I DO NOT want to upgrade Cubase, the new version is 400 dollars more, plus there's the upgrade fee(how much is it to upgrade anyway?), plus I want to use DX plugins, plus I don't want to be a beta tester. /end rant

I'm pretty sure SX3 will work with dual cores, since they are very old, but what about Quad core cpu's?

Anything else I should know about upgrading and Cubase SX3?

I don't know anything about quad cores, except i've seen some massive sessions run off a alot less. What on earth are you planning on using all that extra cpu power for?

I don't know anything about quad cores, except i've seen some massive sessions run off a alot less. What on earth are you planning on using all that extra cpu power for?

So I don't have a freeze tracks when using many plugins, or plugins with high cpu usage.

Mr. Internet Tough Guy?
I kind of like that title, even though that's not what I was getting at.
I said nothing about SX3 not working with multiple cores, just made a simple remark.
OP, if you'd do your own research, you wouldn't have needed to make this thread.
Multiple core processors, in the scope of consumer computing, are still pretty new. I don't have a machine with multiple cores yet and I probably do about 200x more work on the computer in a day than you do in a week. What pisses me off about newer users is that they buy into the hype of "if you want to do this, you WILL need all this power and then some." Until 3-4 years ago I was doing all of my recordings on an 800 mhz machine with a gig of RAM. The only reason I upgraded to an Athlon 64 machine was because there was a sale on the processors (this was about a month after they were released) and I figured it couldn't hurt to have a faster machine, just in case the "more power" hype was real. Well, it turns out that little changed with the way I record things and I probably could have stuck with my 800 mhz machine and gotten the same result out of every session. I haven't had to freeze any tracks until recently, when I was doing some Drumagog replacement and couldn't stand it defaulting to whatever it wanted upon opening the session. The reason being is: I take the time to get my mics placed where they will give basically the sound that I want, which in turn makes it so I don't have to use 10 plugins per track to get decent quality sound. Maybe you ought to give it a try too. Anyway, thanks for the rep, and I hope you get some help soon for your obvious autism.

Edit:
Here's a tip for research, google "cubase sx3 quad core" and see what the first result is. :rolleyes:

Mr. Internet Tough Guy?
I kind of like that title, even though that's not what I was getting at.
I said nothing about SX3 not working with multiple cores, just made a simple remark.
OP, if you'd do your own research, you wouldn't have needed to make this thread.
Multiple core processors, in the scope of consumer computing, are still pretty new. I don't have a machine with multiple cores yet and I probably do about 200x more work on the computer in a day than you do in a week. What pisses me off about newer users is that they buy into the hype of "if you want to do this, you WILL need all this power and then some." Until 3-4 years ago I was doing all of my recordings on an 800 mhz machine with a gig of RAM. The only reason I upgraded to an Athlon 64 machine was because there was a sale on the processors (this was about a month after they were released) and I figured it couldn't hurt to have a faster machine, just in case the "more power" hype was real. Well, it turns out that little changed with the way I record things and I probably could have stuck with my 800 mhz machine and gotten the same result out of every session. I haven't had to freeze any tracks until recently, when I was doing some Drumagog replacement and couldn't stand it defaulting to whatever it wanted upon opening the session. The reason being is: I take the time to get my mics placed where they will give basically the sound that I want, which in turn makes it so I don't have to use 10 plugins per track to get decent quality sound. Maybe you ought to give it a try too. Anyway, thanks for the rep, and I hope you get some help soon for your obvious autism.

Edit:
Here's a tip for research, google "cubase sx3 quad core" and see what the first result is. :rolleyes:

Better plugins take more cpu. Try running a song with 50-60 tracks with the kind of plugins I prefer on your 800mhz system. Doesn't work. If you want to use plugins that are 5 years old, and that works for you, fine. It doesn't work for me. A reverb, or an EQ might take up as much as 10% cpu on my system. I need more power than that. You don't have a fucking clue about my situation, how I work, or really anything about me to try to make judgements FOR me about how I SHOULD be doing things.

The fact still remains (which was my original point) that dual core CPUs are not by any means old. Don't get your panties in a wad.

The fact still remains (which was my original point) that dual core CPUs are not by any means old. Don't get your panties in a wad.

Old is relative. I meant old enough to have been introduced when SX3 was still Steinbergs main focus. 4x cores came out after Steinberg did that last update to SX3, so I wasn't sure if it would work.

Multi-core processing is, to a program's eyes, just SMP. A Google search turned this up:

"Steinberg's Cubase SX3 and Nuendo 3 software workstations both feature Steinberg's Advanced Dynamic Multiprocessing technology. This allocates processing tasks dynamically to ensure the most efficient use of all available CPU resources. Steinberg's multi-core processor support harnesses the full potential not only of dual-core processors, but supports any number of physical processors or processor cores, allocating processing tasks dynamically between them."

So, in theory, you could have 4 quad processors and Cubase would be able to use all of them. Neat.

To the negative rep guy, go to the link in my sig and listen to "walla walla sweets" it uses 51 tracks. About 40 or so audio tracks and the rest bussing and FX tracks. The song "I'm not Well" also uses close to 50 tracks also. The highest track count I've had was 57, another song by the same band that's not online.

-Timedog

Back