Cubase SX vs Cubase SL

Funky_A

Hello,

I've now been doing hobby recording me and my band for a couple of months now.
I have some nice gear, and now I am finally at a point where I'd like to buy a REAL version of Cubase.

But offcourse as any good software, you have to pay a lot.
So I noticed Cubase SL, is sort of the same, but misses a few features in it.
But I actually don't know what the BIG difference between the 2 is that, SL is half the price of SX.

Anyway, if someone can advice me to or by SL or save up for SX or buy another program let me know please.

Thank you,
Geert

(I'm Mac all the way, so now PC crap please ;) )

cubase sx2.0 sells used on ebay for $100. If you super bad want sx3 you can upgrade for $150 so that is cubase sx3 for $250 or cubase sx2 for $100

and ps, I use sx and don't even know if I use all the features of sx, most likely you get by with sl, but at the prices I post above who cares.

You can also buy sx and sl new for ~$400 at www.AcademicSuperstore.com if you are a student. That is where I bought mine new... I would have just bought sx1 used if I would have known lol.

Last edited:
have you looked through the features against the two programs? look at the features and think of what u need (unless u plan on expanding what you do recording wise).

but fluxburn's point on the money factor is pretty understandable. i currently use cubase sx 2.0 and as well dont even know if i use all the features, but i only paid $150 for it and am very content with what i paid for

Thanks,
I think I need to check with what I gonna use & what not.
I might gonna check that at the shop and ask them about it all the way.
Allthough the 2nd hand SX2 is also a great idea.

Thanks for the replies.

In order to upgrade an older version of Cubase SX to SX3 you would first have to pay the Steinberg registration fee. I can't remember, but I think it is like $50.

SL3 does not have phase reverse on the channels, has 5 (instead of 8) inserts per channel, and will not allow you to use the right click menu on a wav file to process that file with a plug in. Those are some of the differences that I hae discovered, allthough I am sure there are more.

My version of SL3 will be up for sale soon when my SX3 gets here.

Thanks for the info.

I just managed to get my hands on a €150 Cubase SX incl. Dongle, Manual etc.etc. and not registrated.

So after that I can buy an upgrade for €150 euro's.

Thanks for the help.

Back