CUBASE sound quality

enemyofthesun

to anyone out there that has cubase now but has also mixed alot on various boards and consoles. How do you think the sound compares?

I find it sorta flat. And to be honest I cant tell why.

What do you thnk about this?

I think cubase sounds fine, better than most analog recorders. What you might want to take a look at is your whole sound chain. It may not be Cubase causing the problem.

cubase sound the same as any other program, exept for sequoia and samplitude. they sound better to me.
you sound quality problem may be your settings...what type of sound card do you have?

I use the sound card that comes woth the motu 2408.

By flat I gues I mean the EQ isnt as powerful as say a soundcraft board for example. Of course cubase soudns better then dumb recorders but I mean from a more pro point of view

to me its actually the 2408mkII. i recorded at my partners studio with a akg solid tube and a motu 2408mkII... it souunded good but once we finnished the recordings at my studio with a se5000 and my delta 1010, the 1010 sounded much better. so by saying cubase sounds flat, it could just be the motu. when we recorded we kept the ef flat on the mixer...

I record with EQ flat as well. MAybe I will just EQ some going in and maybe that will give me more room to tweak later. Its mostly the kick I cant get good enough on cubase but I got a DM5 and a trigger now so maybe I am ok

I will say the cubase EQ does sound weak though.

maybe its the motu.

try some other eq's other than cubase's... i usually use Waves plugins... but i also have some timeworks eq...i don't use cubase now as much as nuendo..

the problem probably lies with your convertors or your soundcard, rather than cubase. cubase is just recording whats coming from your card.

According to Steinberg, the complaints about sound quality come down to panning law. Cubase defaults panning law to -6dB while other programs default to -3dB (Nuendo) or 0dB (Logic). A higher panning law makes centered sounds, such as a kick drum, louder. This can be perceived as being more punchy.

Try setting your panning law to -3db for a compromise.

thanks LongWave...I just recently got freefilter back up & running, & I'm still very impressed with what it can do...so, waves is better?

Back