Cubase SL3 crashing when recording MIDI

Humbucker

I think this is a new problem for me, although I'm not 100% sure. When I am recording a MIDI track, Cubase is crashing and restarting my PC at the exact same point every time - which is at around 3 mins 30 seconds. Like I say, I think it is a new problem because I have recorded at least one thing with MIDI that lasted longer than 3 and a half mins. Is this some kind of bug? I switch off all my Spyware and Anti Virus programs before each Cubase session, so it's nothing to do with those. I'm using the SFZ+ soundfont player to play my MIDI instruments through, although the same thing happens with the free version SFZ. I'm pretty frustrated as I can't think what is causing this, I have 1GB of RAM and the CPU meter is barely even moving from the bottom so it's not a memory issue I don't think. As yet I haven't downloaded and installed any of the SL3 updates(on Cubase.net) as I didn't feel I was having any problems that I wanted fixed. Should I get the updates now and will they fix this? All help much appreciated. :)

Atterion said:
I would. What do you have to lose at this point.

Nothing I guess, although I seem to see as many unhappy users with the updates as I do happy over at Cubase.net. But it's at least worth a try.

humbucker.
heres an idea to try. to nail this problem.
and i dont want to incur the wrath of cubase users.
try recording midi with another package or even a freeware midi recorder.
(hitsquad.com try).
IF you still get the same problem at the same time point this means a problem in your pc set up confign for midi and is not related to your software. if you DONT get the problem then its related prolly in how cubase is configured possibly on your system. you see what i'm getting at ?
it will nail your problem down one way or the other.
for example you can try powertracks that i use(pgmusic.com). the demo. and not pay a cent. but at least you will have an idea. if what i use records flawlessly then look into your cubase configuration. i see no reason why cubase should not record midi for you. its been doing it for years with tons of users successfully.

manning1 said:
humbucker.
heres an idea to try. to nail this problem.
and i dont want to incur the wrath of cubase users.
try recording midi with another package or even a freeware midi recorder.
(hitsquad.com try).
IF you still get the same problem at the same time point this means a problem in your pc set up confign for midi and is not related to your software. if you DONT get the problem then its related prolly in how cubase is configured possibly on your system. you see what i'm getting at ?
it will nail your problem down one way or the other.
for example you can try powertracks that i use(pgmusic.com). the demo. and not pay a cent. but at least you will have an idea. if what i use records flawlessly then look into your cubase configuration. i see no reason why cubase should not record midi for you. its been doing it for years with tons of users successfully.

Thanks manning1 - I think I'll give that a try. It's a really frustrating problem, it does it at the EXACT same time every time. I was thinking it was a Cubase problem because of that fact, but to be honest I'm not sure what it is. When I get time I'm gonna go all out to figure it out though. Trial and error I guess. Thanks again for your reply. :)

Have you tried using a different VSTi? This seems like it is most likely a problem that is not completely Cubase related, but probably a combination of things.

As far as the updates go, I was using the Cubase SL updates, now I am using Cubase SX with the updates. Both seem to be just fine:) Midi included.....

If your computer crashes at exactly the same point time after time:

Have you considered that you may have a bad spot on your hard drive?

When's the last time you ran a disk check????

Back