Cubase sequencing?

dannymix

Iv hit a writers block 2 years ago and still in it now! I changed to a new computer format and new sequencer being cubase 32/5.1.

Every time I start doing a track I loose interest and just save the track and never return to it again. "Right" my question! which way do you start with a track and how do you go about constucting it in cubase, I feel if i had a different method of composing my music I mite finnish a track or two.

I just want to get the end of creating a track even if it is rubish!
Iv got to keep the interest up during writing a track.

I use a mix of MIDI instruments- primarily drums and some orchestration - and audio. Once I have an idea for a song, usually from playing it on the guitar, I'll start by recording scratch tracks of the parts that I have to a click track. I'll record what I'm thinking will be the verse, chorus, and bridge if I have them all.

Then I'll copy and paste the scratch recordings so that I have a rough arrangement of the song. This way, the holes in the song begin to become obvious and I'll try to get inspired to fill them with something nifty.

One way that I do that is, once I have a basic arrangement, to start recording the lyrics if I have them. Usually, the feel and flow of the lyrics will begin to suggest changes to the arrangment and even dictate new sections be written and added. At this point the song pretty much seems to write itself. I start getting really excited and inspired when I start working on the vocal harmonies. I love them for some reason.

Now, since I recorded the whole deal to a click track, I'll go back and start writing the drum track for the song. I'm not a drummer so it really helps me to have to scratch audio tracks to write to.

Next I'll write the bass line and put that in. Then I'll rerecord the guitars and replace the scratch tracks with good, clean, stereo guitar performances. Then I'm off to redo the vocals and backing vocals and, viola! Its a song!

Take care,
Chris

Thanks!

Im producing Dance Music so I thinks I mite need to go a different root but im willing to try anythink.

:)

I dabble in electronica, myself. I start with the beat and the bass.

Once I have one part down, I'll choose some sounds to play over it and get a "verse" thing going. That will usually suggest a "chorus" kind of part, so I'll write the bass and beat for that, too.

Then I get stuck on adding some kind of change. I hear it all the time in house music- there is some whacko break that doesn't make any sense. That's because the song ran out of steam and they just started throwing notes in there to make it different. I try to avoid that if I can. :)

Sometimes I try taking a melody or harmony from the verse and making that the bass line for a different section. It doesn't always work, but it can get the ideas flowing again. Its a challenge, that's for sure.

I'll also take fragments of songs that I haven't finished and see if I can use parts from one song in another. That can be surprising, sometimes. I also audition sounds like crazy. Maybe that little fill would sound better as a tuba than a spacey synth pad? Who knows until you try. :D

Anywho, I'm not great at electronic music. Those are just some of my observations.

Have fun (that's probably the most important part.)
Chris

i make progressive house/trance... i usually start with the bass line, then i go about making a pretty basic beat... this is pretty much how every choon starts, since i allways get the idea for the bassline first... then i loop the shit and start messing with my synthesizer for a few hours.. if i find something interessting, i record it, if i don't i start importing samples and start messing with those instead... once i've constructed/deconstructed a pretty elaborate composition i go about the sequencing and the details.. bongos/congas and shit will usually have to wait till the last moments since my choon change constantly and i'd have to tune and rearrange them all the time...

usually the choon will be created from one bassline, then i make some synths and i'll allmost 100% of the time end up with a different bassline cause i've found a better one... my newest track "The Form" started out with one bassline, a beat, some vocals and some dub strings and pianos... it ended out with a totally different bass line, beat, no vocals, no piano, an evil string preset and a funky distorted sound for the catch...

Back