Cubase SE/Alesis Multimix latency...

CouncilOfDave

Okay, here's the setup.

I'm running Cubase SE on my Toshiba laptop. I'm interfaced with an Alesis Multimix8 USB.

I'm using the ASIO drivers, and I've tried both of the ones available.

When I attempt to record guitar tracks in, I have one of two problems.
1. When monitoring from Cubase, I have a huge latency problem, and have not been able to fix this. I cannot figure out how to change the buffer settings.

2. When I monitor from the interface, the signal in is too low, and the monitor level of the guitar is WAY TOO loud. I cannot hear the drums. When I turn the level down (on the Main Mix knob), the level gets even lower in Cubase.

So I connected the 2 Track in/outs with an RCA cable, and this works - except that when I record guitars over drums, the drums make their way into the guitar channel. If I record a second guitar part, the drums, and the first guitar make their way in. When I'm planning on having about 14 tracks going near the end of this, it might cause me a bit of a problem (especially with vocals).

WTH am I doing wrong? Because I have had this problem before... I've been using this setup a few times a month for over a year now, but sometimes it works JUST FINE, and other times I have this problem that I described above.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of this once and for all?

Back