Cubase Newbie, but not new to VST ex..

reneveah

I have to say I am stumped on this program. this sounds funny and even to me, but I have bought the latest FruityLoops, well now its FL Studio, I have worked with Reason and a few others here and there, but WOW, I can not get started on cubase. The only thing I see more often is. A SERIOUS PROBLEM HAS OCCURED! and then somehting about renaming something but thats all I get. I saw once a Piano Roll, which I though OO ok getting someplace but jee, I could not get a peep out of it. I know how to use and what VST plugins are, all the things I have used, has that, but I opne Cubase, and the empty screen is as far as I can get and I owned this thing now for a few months. For one I read the how to things but does not get me anywhere at all. I do trance and alot of club music and I had my eye on this program for a while but I can not get it going plus the danm SERIOUS PROBLEM pop ups come every time I try to do something. This same computer as ran all the other programs I use. I have put Cubase on another, not to think I might use it there but the SERIOUS PROBLEM message still pops, anyhow. After I open it, How do I get somehting going, like a synth or something. I am kinda disapointed in myself casue the other programs was a breeze to get going. If you know where I can get a from step one guid, or some tips in here let me know. Please dont give me flame over this., I serached this forum and found not much on how to start. Thanks

Go to a good bookstore and buy Cubase SX power. It starts you out as if you knew absolutely nothing about Cunase at all, but also gets very in depth by the later chapters. I had been running Cuabse and/or Nuendo for about a year and a half and was pretty proficient in that environment. I bought the book anyhow though to learn more about midi functionality as it pertains to Cubase and ended up learning tons of new and cool things from the book:)

well, i feel I may have a bigger problem. even if I get this book, It wont fix my A SERIOUS ERROR HAS OCCURED. After this pops up, its done. I opne it fine, then go to create new project, after I go though that, I get an Error half way though it and nothing ever comes up. I cant even use this program. Any ideas on what is causing this? I feel if I can get past that, I will be ok, but I can not get past the error.

what version is it? does it come with a dongle? it might have something to do with that. i would have been calling steinberg months ago if a program i paid for was giving me a serious error.

I'm on SX 2.0. I've seen that error from time to time. In fact there are certain things I can do to duplicate it (for example, create a folder track, put a bunch of audio and MIDI tracks there, then delete a part). A lot of times, I just ignore it, push the dialog to one side and keep on working. Save your stuff often. I think it's just some bug, some errant overzealous error checking function that's not well worked out. Most of the time it's not really "serious" :D

If the error occurs during startup, than it probably happens while loading a certain plugin. What the startup screen when its loading. the plugin list runs by fairly quickly, but you should be able to tell which plugin is loading when the error occurs. If so, try uninstalling that plugin or plugin set. If it works after that, than you know where the problem lies. My Cubase SX3 has never given me a problem.

reneveah said:
well, i feel I may have a bigger problem. even if I get this book, It wont fix my A SERIOUS ERROR HAS OCCURED. After this pops up, its done. I opne it fine, then go to create new project, after I go though that, I get an Error half way though it and nothing ever comes up. I cant even use this program. Any ideas on what is causing this? I feel if I can get past that, I will be ok, but I can not get past the error.
Buy the legal version...............

what makes you so sure I do not have a legal version, after all I ordered it from them direct and payed nearly $700 for it. IS THAT LEGAL ENOUGH!!! I am having problems with the program, Thats it, that does not mean its not legal :mad:

The problem is that there are a lot of people who have similar problesm due to illegal versions and cracked plugins etc... There are so many of those people who take up our time that you can't really blame them for thinking that. I am sure that they don't mean anything personal with their comments if you really are using a legal legit copy of Cubase.

for one, i don't even think you can order direct drom them...they don't sell sx 2 in the stores anymore, now its sx 3. furthermore, you should go to a store or anywhere online where they sell the newer version of cubase for way less than 700...(i got mine on a competitive upgrade for 400...) also pretty much everyone knows that a cracked sx 2 is available on the internet, so when someone makes a post saying they just bought sx 2 and is having "serious problems..." one starts to wonder.

also, when i have trouble with software that i just purchased, i'm on the phone with the company and demand they help me fix it or i want my money back...i don't come to these boards and say help i have 500 dollar software and it doesn't work...you'd call steinberg i'm sure but for that you'd need a unique serial number and product key...

reneveah said:
what makes you so sure I do not have a legal version, after all I ordered it from them direct and payed nearly $700 for it. IS THAT LEGAL ENOUGH!!! I am having problems with the program, Thats it, that does not mean its not legal :mad:
You cannot buy SX2 from Steinberg directly - they only sell the latest versions and upgrades. SX3 is over $1000 USD......

Steinberg online store

Sorry guys, but the original poster said he bought it months ago. YES you can buy from Steinberg direct. No, Cubase SX is not over $1000, it is $600 and Steinberg direct used to sell it for almost $700. As far as SX2 goes, yes it is still available in many stores. They don't throw them away just because SX3 came out, they usually just put them on sale to clear them out.

None of us can really say here whether or not the original poster has a legal version or not. I don't know if he does or not. But, if you guys wanna come in here and just attack people without knowing for sure, lets at least get your facts right.

xstatic said:
Sorry guys, but the original poster said he bought it months ago. YES you can buy from Steinberg direct. No, Cubase SX is not over $1000, it is $600 and Steinberg direct used to sell it for almost $700. As far as SX2 goes, yes it is still available in many stores. They don't throw them away just because SX3 came out, they usually just put them on sale to clear them out.

None of us can really say here whether or not the original poster has a legal version or not. I don't know if he does or not. But, if you guys wanna come in here and just attack people without knowing for sure, lets at least get your facts right.

Great reply for those folks that are quick to come to a conclusion.

xstatic said:
As far as SX2 goes, yes it is still available in many stores. They don't throw them away just because SX3 came out, they usually just put them on sale to clear them out.
True, my wife bought my copy of SX2 for $500, at my local music store.

And seriously reneveah, this sounds like something that I'd address with Steinberg. It is obviously some conflict between cubase and a plugin, cubase and your hardware (drivers perhaps???), or cubase and your OS, or as previously stated dongle malfunction/dongle crack (Seriously if you didn't buy it, then buy it. It is worth every penny, trust me).

onmoris said:
for one, i don't even think you can order direct drom them...they don't sell sx 2 in the stores anymore, now its sx 3. furthermore, you should go to a store or anywhere online where they sell the newer version of cubase for way less than 700...(i got mine on a competitive upgrade for 400...) also pretty much everyone knows that a cracked sx 2 is available on the internet, so when someone makes a post saying they just bought sx 2 and is having "serious problems..." one starts to wonder.

also, when i have trouble with software that i just purchased, i'm on the phone with the company and demand they help me fix it or i want my money back...i don't come to these boards and say help i have 500 dollar software and it doesn't work...you'd call steinberg i'm sure but for that you'd need a unique serial number and product key...

where in the world did you get the idea that I have the SX2 version? I Never stated.

Back