Cubase & Midi

justanotherjo

I've never used Cubase, but I am thinking of buying a version of the program. I currently have a Boss BR-1600 multi-track which I want to continue to use. We need a new computer, but I don't have the funds to get what I really want. We are looking at a Dell Dimension 5150 with an Intel Pentium D 820 (2.8GHz) w/Dual Core Technology and 1GB 533MHz Memory. It will be our family computer, and I won't be able to dedicate it soley to home recording.

First, if I want to use an external midi device as master to control the tempo or timecode, playback, etc. (i.e. the BR-1600), do I need the full SX3 version of Cubase? That's what I seem to get from my research. Or, can I do this at all?

Second, is it even feasible to run the SX3 version of Cubase on this system. What type of problems could I run into? If I were able to run the program, would I be able to run any plug-ins?

Also, any advice on soundcards and interfaces that work well with Cubase would be appreciated? I am, however, still planning on using the BR-1600 to track guitars and vocals, and I should be able to import those tracks to my computer via its USB connection.

Thanks in advance,

Joe.

Cubase utilizes the dual core technology so you will do well with that computer. You want to get and additional hard drive to dedicate solely for your audio. Plugins shouldn't be a problem but make sure you get good spyware and virus protection if the family will be surfing the net with it.

Cubase works well with just about all soundcards and the one to get should be based on how many channels you require, the quality you need and your budget. I have a LynxTwo card and couldn't be happier.

That system would totally be able to handle Cubase SX3 with no sweat. For reference, I use a lowly AMD AthlonXP 2300+ with 768MB of RAM and it works for me just fine most of the time (I have ran into issues with not being able to load huge sample libraries that come with Battery 2 for example, but those are rare circumstances).

About the only thing I'd say is, if you can spare an extra $200 or so, get a dedicated soundcard/audio interface as the built-in audio on those will give you issues. You want to make sure you have something with ASIO drivers at the very least.

First, if I want to use an external midi device as master to control the tempo or timecode, playback, etc. (i.e. the BR-1600), do I need the full SX3 version of Cubase?

No. SX does not sync to an external midi clock, it will only send sync

The last version of cubase that supported slave mode was VST32

Second, is it even feasible to run the SX3 version of Cubase on this system. What type of problems could I run into? If I were able to run the program, would I be able to run any plug-ins?

The system is more than enough. It will run fine

I am, however, still planning on using the BR-1600 to track guitars and vocals, and I should be able to import those tracks to my computer via its USB connection.

I have no clue as to why you would do that. I would just stick to the BR or cubase. Using both will just be frustrating since track transfers are painfully slow

Any pro/pro-sumer audio interface with ASIO drivers will work with cubase

Thanks for the replies.

I essentially want to use my computer as a synth with some sequencing capabilities. I had a nice little set up with a Yamaha Motif ES6 where I used its internal sequencer to help me create keyboard parts that I wasn't able to play myself (I'm a guitar player). I used my BR-1600 as the master and the Motif was the slave, and I recorded the via an audio signal from the ES6 to the BR-1600.

I was hoping to replicate this system (somewhat) relatively inexpensively as I already have a midi controller. I was hoping to use Cubase SE3, but after stumbling through the information I could find, I thought I had to get the SX3 version, if I wanted the BR-1600 as the master. The problem now becomes I am beginning to spend more than I want to, and I'm still not able to do what I want. Though, now that I am thinking about it, if I could use Cubase SE3 as the master that might be a solution as well. Will that work?

I want to use both the BR-1600 and Cubase more out of necessity than anything. I'm not in a position to invest in an eight-channel audio interface, guitar & bass effects, real faders, etc. As well, I like the BR-1600 and many of its features. Ideally, I would build a system completely around Cubase SX3, but I just can't. Even purchasing the full SX3 program will be a hard sell on the homefront.

That being said, if I do end up buying a version of Cubase, I would like to use it. I find it difficult to cut and paste tracks together on the BR-1600 because it doesn't have the visual interface of something like Cubase. If I have to live with slow data transfer rates for a while, so be it.

Anyway, thanks again everyone, and any further advice would be welcomed.

Joe.

I think SX3 will be overkill for you. It has such a huge amount of functions that you're highly likely to not use 90% of them, especially if your used to a simpler hardware unit. SL3 is nearly as function as SX3 with a few exeptions and fewer of sertain functions (insert FX, track count etc. still enough for most though). SE3 might be good too, but it uses an older engine and might not run as fast. It could just as well function fine for your uses though.

You could get some kind of hardware sequencer controller like the Tranzport to control the tempo and transport of Cubase while not sitting behind the computer. Some midi keyboards of these functions as well (like the new Axiom series by M-Audio).

Back