Cubase LE with Firepod

the edzell

I just ordered the Presonus firepod with Cubase LE. I already use Adobe Audition but I’ve heard so many good things about Cubase and the software is coming free of charge I might as well give it a spin.

Can any of you Cubase experts tell me what I should expect as far as

1. The Learning Curve – how long it’s going to take me to pick up on things.
2. If I can exchange files between Cubase and AA 1.5

I’m also guessing that LE is the bare bones version. Is there a discount just to upgrade or if I want to move up I’ll have to buy the new software package.

Thanks.

Yeah I would like to know this too. I am helping my high school set up a recording program and the firepod is what I suggested. They wanted to know if you could upgrade to regular cubase too.

I use SE, which is very similar to LE, from what I've read (SE has a few more effects sends and inserts per channel, I think). I think Cubase is laid out fairly similar to most other multitrack programs, like Sonar, N-Track, etc. I haven't used Audition, but I imagine it is close enough that you won't have much trouble adapting. I came to SE from Cubasis VST that came bundled with my USB interface. VST was a terrible and SE is soooo much easier to use. The transport controls and effects are all laid out in an intuitive way, imo.

While I have not yet felt the need to upgrade to SX, my understanding is that if you want to upgrade, you only pay the difference in price b/w your current version and the upgrade. You might check www.steinberg.net for info on how this works with LE.

As for importing tracks, you can import .wav files into new projects, no problem, so it should work.

I have the Firepod with Cubase LE too.

And I've tried to use Cubase LE, but here's the problem...

I'll load it, record a bit on it, close the program.
Then when I re-open the program, it gets the silly "Cubase must close" message in windows.

Hate it.

Hope I can figure out why it is doing this.

Village Idiot said:

Then when I re-open the program, it gets the silly "Cubase must close" message in windows.

Hate it.

You're not disconnecting the dongle are you? I don't think that the bundled LE will work without the Firepod attached.

Village Idiot said:

Hate it.

Get yourself a Mac and end the madness...

Cubase and Firepod

I have the Firepod and Cubase LE and it works just fine. There is no dongle for LE, and you can run it without Firepod. Not sure why your Cubase is locking -- you might try calling the guys at Presonus and make sure your Firepod driver is installed correctly and is the latest version.

You can upgrade from LE to a higher version. One of the differences between LE and higher versions is number of send and insert effects you can run, and the number of VST instrument and MIDI tracks you can use. My understanding is the software engine that runs LE is the same as SE.

For more on the comparison, go here:

http://www.steinberg.net/WebVideo/cubasesystem4/English(UK)/doc/Cubase%20System%20Comparison.pdf

Keith

Back