Cubase LE mixdown using wrong take

Russtopher

I have one Cubase LE session that's pissing me off :mad: 4 tracks of drums, 1 bass track, 2 guitar tracks. The second guitar track is compiled from a couple of different takes, 1 take for the first half of the song, then 3 takes for the second half (the 3rd take is the one that I want). When I play the song in Cubase, it displays the correct take # for the second half of the song, and it plays the correct take. But when I go to mix down and export, it keeps playing the wrong take!

I had noticed earlier in the session, the old take was playing, I stopped the song and started it again without changing anything. At that point, the correct take played. I saved the session, went to another song, then back to the saved session and the correct take played on playback. But it keeps on exporting the WRONG earlier take on mixdown.

What the heck am I missing that's causing this?

wow I guess this is a weirdo problem, I posted this on 3 boards/newsgroups and not a single response! Unfortunately I think my hard drive might be on it's way out, my wife experienced some suddenly missing files earlier this evening, so everything is being backed up as we speak. Hopefully nothing happens, and in the meantime I guess I'll just delete the previous "bad" take and hope that resolves the issue.

I can't help you I am afraid, being I am new at this myself and have no idea on that one...but maybe if this gets posted in, someone will check it out, who can help. You might PM a guy named Carter or PM Halion. They seem to know the Cubase program pretty good.

true-eurt said:
You might PM a guy named Carter or PM Halion. They seem to know the Cubase program pretty good.

I'm flattered :)

As for your problem, I've never heard of this before, but you can try deleting the other takes. Cubase records all the takes in one long file, and all deleting is non-destructive, so you can always go back if you feel you've chosen the wrong take. If you recorded the takes all in one go then they will be in one long file, even though it looks like multiple files. You can look for the file in the pool to check this. If you recorded the takes in multiple go's, there should be multiple files in the pool. As long as they remain in the pool you can always recall them.

There's probably a bug in what shows in the sequence window. You can delete the entire track in the sequence window and then drag and drop the file from the pool back into the track. You'll probably have to move it around a bit to get it aligned with the other tracks again, but it might solve your problem.

Halion said:
I'm flattered :)

As for your problem, I've never heard of this before, but you can try deleting the other takes. Cubase records all the takes in one long file, and all deleting is non-destructive, so you can always go back if you feel you've chosen the wrong take. If you recorded the takes all in one go then they will be in one long file, even though it looks like multiple files. You can look for the file in the pool to check this. If you recorded the takes in multiple go's, there should be multiple files in the pool. As long as they remain in the pool you can always recall them.

There's probably a bug in what shows in the sequence window. You can delete the entire track in the sequence window and then drag and drop the file from the pool back into the track. You'll probably have to move it around a bit to get it aligned with the other tracks again, but it might solve your problem.

I'm new to this too, just got a Lexicon Omega. So are you saying all takes stay in the same track? I exported a track last nite and it was playing two takes on one track at once, I think the nondestruct editing is cool but is there a way I can just keep the one take.
I've been using Cakewalk Home Studio for a couple years and would stay with it, but Cubase seems to offer a lot more, however issues like this make me apprehensive...

Yes, look at it like this:
lets say your takes are 20 seconds each, and you record three takes. That would mean that Cubase creates 1 audio file of 60 seconds, but shows you three layers underneath each other, with the lowest one probably beeing green (to indicate that this is the layer that you hear). When playing back you only hear the last take you did (at least, this is how it works in Cubase SX), but you can easily mark a different take as "active" (green colored) by muting the green track (the x tool).

Back