Cubase LE:Have to export to monitor properly?

SGforce

I've been using Cubase for about a month now to simply cut jam sessions into shorter tracks and to apply EQ changes.

But for some reason it sounds like Cubase has hardly any bass, i need to change EQ settings ->export ->listen to it in windows media player(where it sounds just like a burned cd) ->go back and readjust ->export ->listen...etc

I'm only using a 5.1 150w speaker setup but i've tryed using a pair of headphones a buddy bought at the music shop (can't remember the brand name) and they didn't make any difference. I've also changed the speaker settings from 5.1 to stereo because I thought cubase would only use the speakers in stereo and might not of used the sub, and that didn't make a difference either.

Please help! I've got 100s of files piling up on my desktop named "soundcheck - 01,soundcheck - 02..."

Maybe you could be a bit more specific...are you monitoring through Cubase or monitoring direct? Are you using your 5.1 speakers to monitor during tracking? Or when exactly does it seem like there is no bass?

Thanks for the reply. I'm monitoring (or really just listening to) a previously recorded session through cubase on my 5.1 speakers. Within Cubase it doesn't sound like there is anthing below 500k. But once exported, burned to cd or just listened to in anything else there is lots of bass.

i'm recording using a Zoom H4(and monitoring on headphones) then importing the wav files into Cubase to cut the files and do slight adjustments.

SGforce said:
i'm recording using a Zoom H4(and monitoring on headphones) then importing the wav files into Cubase to cut the files and do slight adjustments.

Well the thing about consumer stereo systems is that they all boost the lows and the highs. it could be that you're monitoring through headphones and you think you're getting more bass than you really are. I'm no expert, but try monitoring through your stereo or actual studio monitors.

it sounds like you're listening thru your computer speakers while running cubase and then burning to cd and to listen on another system. how do your files sound in media player on your pc? i think you just have some computer speakers that might be lacking bass.

in media player it sounds just the same as on my stereo system, actually my computer speakers are better than the stereo i have and i usually listen to cds on the computer. It's only in cubase that there seems to be no bass. If I export a file it will sound alot bassier in media player than in cubase.

It just seems to me like Cubase isn't using my soundcard properly.

SGforce said:
in media player it sounds just the same as on my stereo system, actually my computer speakers are better than the stereo i have and i usually listen to cds on the computer. It's only in cubase that there seems to be no bass. If I export a file it will sound alot bassier in media player than in cubase.

It just seems to me like Cubase isn't using my soundcard properly.

Maybe what you hear as "more bass" when media player plays the file could be a dsp/eq plugin setting in media player or (more likely) a dsp/eq setting on your built-in computer sound card. And of course EQ on your real stereo?

If anything ... Cubase and Media Player (on the computer) should sound alike and you should be getting more bass from the stereo, assuming your stereo eq isn't set flat, which people don't normally do. It's the opposite which suggests that your windows audio card has a bass boost in eq.

Are the Cubase audio device (Zoom h4) and your default windows audio devices two different devices? The Zoom H4 plays Cubase music but Media Player uses the built-in card to play CD's or other audio?

If not... stop reading because this will be of no help. :(

If so.. open up the settings/properties for the built in audio card and flatten the graphic EQ and remove other "spactial" effects that might be engaged. A little bass boost is normal in these cards to get more bass from typical desktop computer speakers. XP might even have boosted the bass on the card automatically if you selected "desktop speakers" during the initial windows audio setup.

Flatten that out and then Media Player and Cubase should sound identical...

Or just use the Zoom as the default windows audio device also.

Last edited:
na, i'm monitoring using the computer's soundcard aswell.

Thanks for the help anyways guys, i'm learning to live with it.

Back