Cubase LE backup/clean-up?

tomteriffic

I'm still finding my way around Cubase LE after having been a Sonar guy for along time. My new interface won't play nice with Sonar, so...

Anyway, here's my question.

I've completed a couple of projects and want to archive them/back them up and generally take everything associated with the project (data, wav files, etc., etc.) and get them off the primary hard drive and to a backup location.

There's this thing called a "Pool" that I haven't quite figured out. What's the right method for getting all of that now-unused stuff out of there without irretrievably screwing the project up? I just need to get that extraneous stuff off the main drive but able to be put back in if I should need to go back to the project. What does the smart money do?

TIA

Tom

I've completed a couple of projects and want to archive them/back them up and generally take everything associated with the project (data, wav files, etc., etc.) and get them off the primary hard drive and to a backup location.

There's this thing called a "Pool" that I haven't quite figured out. What's the right method for getting all of that now-unused stuff out of there without irretrievably screwing the project up? I just need to get that extraneous stuff off the main drive but able to be put back in if I should need to go back to the project. What does the smart money do?

IDK what a pool is either, why can't you just back up the whole project directory? Aren't all the files for one project in one directory? I copy project folders around and never had any issues.

Heres the way i do it.

If you want all the files in one directory then you need to structure your projects correctly.

I do it this way
F:/BALE PROJECTS/DAVE MAJOR/CURRENT PROJECTS/(what ever im working on i.e new album, composition)/(name of project)

When you create a new project Cubase asks you where you want to place all the audio, images etc (browse to directory...or something to that effect)
Once you choose this cubase automatically creates 2 folders one called audio and one called images

Now once you've got your project set up and you've been working on some tracks in it you will have a fair amount of audio which is in the audio folder.
This will include ALL the takes of your tracks. even the ones you don't want in your song.
I.e you may have a guitar solo in your song and you recorded 4 takes of it. Say take 3 is the best and you want to use that. So you delete take 1,2 and 4 in the main wsequencing window.

To give you the chance to change your mind later Cubase will keep all the old takes in the POOL (a pool of all the audio you have used for this song).
So you can drag in the old takes to your track if you want to.

There is a function called insert into origin (right click on a wav file in the pool and you should see it) which is handy.

Hope this has cleared this up for you.

Now the next part.

Once you have finished your project and you are happy with the song. You may want to clean up the project so that it takes up 300mb instead of 3 gb.

This is also a good idea if you want to archive your projects.

So to do this you need to go into the pool window

and right click anywhere and select remove unused media from pool

You will see a pop up window with 2 options. I select remove to trash.

Then right click again and select empty trash.

There you go your project is cleaned up.

Hope that helps

Dave

Back