Cubase LE and Zoom H4 No Audio Signal

David Foster

I can't get an audio input signal using the Zoom H4, which came bundled with Cubase LE, as a audio interface.

My computer recognizes the connection of the H4. In Cubase, I have the ASIO set to the Zoom, the busses are set to the Zoom. In Sound, under Control Panel, the Zoom is recognized and checked. I've downloaded the updated ASIO driver from the Zoom site and the update for Windows 7. I just can't get the actual audio signal going into Cubase. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

This might sound like a dumb question, but what are you using for speakers? Do you see any meter movement in Cubase?

When you select an audio interface in Cubase, you have to use that interface for monitoring. So plug headphones or speakers into the Zoom.

hth,

And you have to click the monitor button (little round button with a speaker on it) for the meters to move.

Edit: Times must be tough if David Foster is recording with a zoom.

Did you disable your onboard or computer sound device on your playback devices for your computer? Did you disable any onboard or other recording devices such as computer mics? Did set the Zoom as the default playback and recording device? Sometimes my alesis will be recognized on Cubase but would not record when you switch between the two if you did not disable these devices beforehand. Also, it would be wise to turn off your windows sounds.

Did you insure that the connection between the Zoom and your computer is firm and secure? Try checking your control settings for the zoom and see if there is anything you might think causes the problem. I haven't had any personal experience with a zoom so I can't tell you exactly what to look for.

Also, make sure when you create a new track on Cubase that you set the input and output channels for that track correctly. Sometimes I will forget to check this and my recordings will end up recording through a channel with no mic in it or a mic for something totally irrelevant to what I want.

Ancient thread, but I struggled with this and probably found the answer you needed. Might be helpful for others.

If the computer and Cubase are recognizing the Zoom, or most likely other interfaces as well, but you are not getting input signal:

go to Devices menu, click on VST Connections, and there you can make either mono or stereo inputs, or both. Very easy once you find this.

It's a little tricky because I was looking for the answer in the Devices -> Device Setup menu, but couldnt make it happen.

The VST Connections menu is a little hard to notice, and it's

This broke my heart over a few evenings. I got more grey hairs now than ever. On the upside, I learned a lot about Cubase LE4 settings. I thought I had updated to the latest ASIO driver and had ruled that out.
I later went to the Zoom website and installed their driver. Worked a treat - Cubase then offered the ZOOM driver in the driver drop-down list. Once I selected it, Cubase took care of the rest. I didn't have to worry about the buses even. My needs are simple - just some clear-sounding multitrack so the greatest musician in the world can play with the greatest musician in the world across infinite instruments:listeningmusic:. I have not looked back.

Back