Cubase LE 4 - Disable quantize on mixdown?

troutmask

Hi,

I started using Cubase LE 4 a few days ago (I don't have access to a lot of my other recording software, and Cubase was bundled with a piece of gear that I just bought, so I figured I would try it out). It seems okay, even if it is a real pain to use at times. I've found ways around most of the problems, except for one oddity which I cannot figure out.

When I record an instrument track in Cubase, the track sounds exactly as I recorded it (I have the "auto quantize" option in the transport panel turned off). But when I go to export a mixdown with an instrument track, Cubase seems to quantize the instrument track at that time. Since I haven't been using Cubase's internal tempo settings or anything (since I'm mainly overdubbing to pre-existing tracks), this produces some really...umm...unpleasant results.

It isn't making sense to me because auto quantize is turned off (I also have grid snapping turned off -- I don't know if that matters or not), and when looking at the instrument track data during playback, everything looks and plays back as I recorded it. This is only happening with the mixdown...and it is very frustrating.

My question -- is there any way to *completely* disable quantitization? What do I need to do?

Thanks in advance

It was the Tascam US-122L. And actually, I did find a workaround for the problem -- for whatever reason, if I check the options to add the exported audio file to the audio pool and to import the audio track in the session, it creates the exported file without any problems -- BUT if I just export the file without checking those options, it comes out weirdly mangled. Odd...it still doesn't make sense to me why that would make a difference...

Hmm, I was going to say with my OSIO driver thing, there's a knob for the monitor mix and if you have it at direct, you can't hear effects applied to it. I don't know much about that Tascam thing though. You would want the Monitor Mix in the middle if there is a knob for it.

Back