Cubase Channel EQ

pinhedgtr

Processing
Is this thing totally worthless or What? It seems like I can't even hear a difference untill I raise the EQ gain to like 10-12...does'nt matter what frequency. Does anybody else have this problem or do you all use plugins for EQ?

Do I care for the Cubase channel EQ? No. Is it worthless? No. If you can not hear the Cubase EQ until 10 or 12 db of gain than....

1. You can not hear well and probably look for a new hobby...

or

2. Your system is not capable of adequate or decent playback, llok for some new monitors and/or converters.

Same here... I never use the Cubase EQ. There are much better sounding freeware EQ's available such as the low CPU load Paris EQ.

Tim

xstatic said:
Do I care for the Cubase channel EQ? No. Is it worthless? No. If you can not hear the Cubase EQ until 10 or 12 db of gain than....

or

2. Your system is not capable of adequate or decent playback, llok for some new monitors and/or converters.

Good call, it's prolly a little of both, I do have some pretty cheap Alesis monitors and I've played loud ass guitars since I was 9...howvevr I recently started wearing ear plugs like 2 years ago....right when I got into mixing.

Thanks Tim....for the more useful information, I'll check that out.

Anyone else?

B

xstatic said:

or

I vote for #1!!!! :D

In all seriousness, Xstatic is exactly right. It isn't very good, but it does work. 12db of gain is HUGE and VERY audible.

pinhedgtr said:
Is this thing totally worthless or What? It seems like I can't even hear a difference untill I raise the EQ gain to like 10-12...does'nt matter what frequency. Does anybody else have this problem or do you all use plugins for EQ?
You have to push the button to turn on each band of controls. If it is on, there is something wrong with your monitors or your ears.

Alrighty then......well 12 may be a bit of an exaggeration, but seriously, like 5 or so. Are my monitors crap then, they are Alesis Monitor One's...could it be the room? Why do you guys think the channel EQ is'nt very good? Speak up!

B

I have to agree on the cubase eq not being my top choice.
I sometimes use it when I`m in a hurry, and its not as bad as first described.

I usually notice a change when I get to 2-3 db. Not a significant one, mind you, but if you're using EQ to make huge changes in the sound, you've got the wrong idea on how to use it.

EQ'ing requires more than just ears. Do you have room treatment? If you don't, it'll be really hard for you to achieve even an average sounding mix. But seriously, 12dB gain is like a day and night difference.

It's remarkable how EQ's are so different in how much effect they have at a given cut or boost amount. One EQ's 2 dB change at certain frequency range might be subtle and another's might have a much more noticeable effect with a 1 dB change. The Audiometrics PLPar EQ, for instance, has a big effect with very slight changes, even just half a dB.

Tim

Or like in real life, Midas, Neve and API's are very audible with just 1 db boosts, whereas you really do need 5 or more db on a Mackie before it does much. Older Soundcrafts are also kind of "soft" like this, but also warm and sweet:D

I use the Cubase EQ and it seems to work OK for me. I know there are better but using the EQ that is allready there saves me from using a lot of plugins.
When I cut or boost with it I can easily hear the difference.

It seems like a good idea having it built in, but I just dont like the controls.
The hi pass function is really bad.
I cant cut it sharp to a certain frequency like the Renaisance EQ.

Eck

I typically only use it for quick temporary fixes while tracking other parts or something. But it isn't all that flexible, and honestly I don't think it sounds as good as the results I get using similar settings in something like a Cambridge EQ. That free Nyquist EQ floating around out there is kind of cool to play with and sounds pretty good. Just wish it had shelving...and makeup gain...

Thanks for your replies, this is helping alot. I think a big part of it may be the room, I've been reading about room treatments, and I think it may be time to build some panels. It also seems that when the mix sounds good in the monitors and I export it and play it on another system, it has too much low end in the mix. mIs this something that the panels will help fix?

B

That is something that room treatments will certainly help, but better monitors will also help this quite a bit. The problem usually lies in a combination of room treatment, learning your monitors, experience, and needing better monitors.

xstatic said:
That is something that room treatments will certainly help, but better monitors will also help this quite a bit. The problem usually lies in a combination of room treatment, learning your monitors, experience, and needing better monitors.
If you are using small monitors then the lo end prob wont be as loud, so you will add more lo end at mixing which in turn ends up being too much.

I always use different monitoring systems to check my mixes.

Eck

Back