Cubase 7 - VST Window Container in 64-bit Mode.

SyDiko

Not sure if anyone has run into this problem, but apparently while using Cubase 7 (64-bit) some 3rd party VSTs don't size properly in their window container(s). Also, the window re-size property is locked, so you can't even manually adjust the container. From programming experience, I know that some containers can behave differently between 32-bit and 64-bit applications; so I went ahead and installed the 32-bit version of Cubase. Thankfully, my hunch was correct, and the 32-bit version actually re-sized the VST containers properly.

This isn't an issue for me as of yet, because I'm still learning Cubase, but I would like to utilize the 64-bit application in the future. With that, does anyone know of this issue and are there any 3rd party fixes for it?

If not, I'm hoping this is on Steinberg's radar and they offer a fix in an update soon.

Last edited:
I've had some odd graphics issues with Cubase 64bit. It seems that updates from the VSTs and Plugins has fixed a lot of them more than Steinberg/Cubase. All I can suggest is to make sure you have all the latest updates for your VSTs/Plugins etc. Its taken a while for companies to catch up with 64bit.

I've had some odd graphics issues with Cubase 64bit. It seems that updates from the VSTs and Plugins has fixed a lot of them more than Steinberg/Cubase. All I can suggest is to make sure you have all the latest updates for your VSTs/Plugins etc. Its taken a while for companies to catch up with 64bit.

Yeah the 64-bit version seems to be a bit buggier than its 32-bit counterpart - its almost like a different program running the same GUI.

I didn't even think to check for updates to the VSTs themselves, for some reason I thought Cubase was in total control of its own container sizing.

Hello SyDiko,

This is a very old debate, Cubase 7 64 bit and since Cubase 5 has a VST bridge (wrapper) that allows customers to use their 32 bit plug-ins inside Cubase while they get a 64 bit version of the plug-in.
However, we do recommend that users run 64 bit plug-ins in the 64 bit version of Cubase to avoid these issues.
Most of the big plug-in developers offer a 64 bit version of their plug-ins.

Please keep in mind that all 32-bit plug-ins used via the VST Bridge still have to share a maximum of 4 GB RAM - the 32-bit limit remains regardless of the overall installed and available system memory.

Therefor it could be that a generic interface is loaded for the plug-in in question.
The VST Bridge is meant as a transitional aid.
Nevertheless, plug-ins used through the VST Bridge should be replaced as soon as possible. As an alternative you could create audio exports of affected tracks. To make you aware of which plug-ins need the VST Bridge they will be marked with a symbol in front of their names.

Best regards,
GN

While I love Cubase, I am quite disappointed at Steinberg's stance on VSTBridge as a "transitional aid". I realise there has been a lot of debate around this on the interwebs but I would just like to voice my opinion because it seems to be broken based on the experiences of many users out there. Saying that, since Cubase 7 I haven't had any problems with VSTBridge beyond my firewall alerting me to it's access. However, working at other studios with Cubase 6.5 (64-bit) there have been constant session interruptions because of VSTBridge crashing.

Many people that have been using Cubase for many years have a collection of go-to plugins, many of which may be discontinued. Also, there are free plugins out there that are fantastic but are only available in 32-bit. I myself use a handful of free plugins that I find to be just as good as any commercially available plugins but they are, of course, 32-bit.

The VSTBridge policy kind of pigeonholes people into ditching some of their go-to tools and having to find, and often pay, for 64-bit alternatives. This is a major ball ache and can prove costly.

My point is that Steinberg is giving a cold shoulder to those people who use discontinued and/or free plugins that are only available in 32-bit because VSTBridge crashes are widespread and they have been seemingly unwilling to address the problem. From what I've read, Steinberg's responses basically amount to "Well, too bad, get with 2013 and the 64-bit revolution". I've also seen Steinberg respond with something along the lines of "Well, developers should code their plugins properly. We can't be held responsible if they didn't code to our VST specification." Funny thing is, this has happened to me on a few occasions with UAD and Waves plugins which you would assume would be coded properly.

My question is, Guillermo, did Steinberg improve VSTBridge stability in Cubase 7? I haven't been experiencing any problems or crashes but it's still early days so we'll have to wait and see. I think I did receive one VSTBridge error a couple days ago, but it didn't seem to affect anything I was doing and it happened at startup.

What is Steinberg's stance on this now?

Cheers :)

Hello Mo Facta,

My question is, Guillermo, did Steinberg improve VSTBridge stability in Cubase 7? I haven't been experiencing any problems or crashes but it's still early days so we'll have to wait and see. I think I did receive one VSTBridge error a couple days ago, but it didn't seem to affect anything I was doing and it happened at startup.

The fact that we recommend users to search for a 64 bit alternative or update their 32 bit plug-ins to the 64 bit version of it does not mean that we have not been updating and improving the VSTBridge stability.

As I already mentioned the VST Bridge can share a maximum of 4 GB RAM, most of the crashes are because the user exceeds this, or because the GUI cannot be displayed properly.
As an alternative you can always use JBridge which works great on a PC and it is very affordable.

Best regards,
GN

Thanks for the reply, Guillermo. Like I said, on my own systems it's been working fine and there haven't been any major hiccups yet. I also have the 32-bit version of Cubase installed and often find that it's enough since I try to manage my projects to the point that I'm not going overboard on plugins and ram, etc. If I need more RAM I'll change over to Cubase 64-bit and carry on working since I have identical plugins installed.

Nonetheless, I appreciate your response and the insight.

Cheers :)

Guillermo,

Thank you for the informative posts!

Believe it or not, the 32-bit version of Cubase is fine for my needs right now as I'm only doing 2-track recording anyway. I'm revamping my VST library as well and I figured since I'm still learning cubase, I'll just use free VSTs until I'm ready to make the jump as a pro user. Only then will I consider 64-bit VSTs and 64-bit Cubase.

Back