Cubase 6 and virtual instruments

Arbee

I'm about to commit to either a Cubase 6 or Pro Tools 9 platform for my new home studio. I've been away from pro music (in IT/software development) for many years so really starting again.

I'll be recording very few live instruments (acoustic guitar and perhaps solo cello) and will use a number of VST libraries including Synthogy Ivory, Trilian, EWQL Symphonic Orchestra, Storm Drums, Omnishere and perhaps some vocal VSTs. Therefore I really need good MIDI features and the ability to easily group VST patches/articulations to have readily at hand for convenience while recording. The music will be a blend of electronic and orchestral to a large degree with piano, acoustic guitar and solo strings as the main featured instruments. I'll need notation software but will play in orchestral parts while recording for feel. I may end up on Sibelius but happy to have a go at Cubase notation.

While I'm sorely tempting to go the Pro Tools route as "the standard", my research seems to indicate for my purpose that Cubase - Wavelab (and on to Nuendo) might be better suited to this purpose.

Thoughts? I've eliminated the other contenders for a variety of reasons (I'll be on PC not Mac) so my only question is about the Cubase 6 path v the Pro Tools 9 path.

Thanks

Cubase 6 now has a trial version. If you haven't already, I would say give it a test run and see how it works for ya. Tho I think you have to purchase the dongie to try it it.:confused:

Kinda sad, you do need to have a previous or purchase a Cubase E- license to try it it seems. Not cool. :(

Haven't used Pro Tools but from my experience Cubase has the MIDI and audio down while Protools is still lacking a bit when it comes to MIDI support, however it handles audio like a pro ^^

I personally use Cubase and once you get past the learning curve everything about using MIDI / VST instruments just makes sense.
Oh yeah, and in Cubase 6 VST Expression 2 is a huge leap forward in terms of having complete control over MIDI (being able to edit controller values of each individual MIDI note).
Iterative quantize, randomizing functions, MIDI limiting/compression, humanizing function... lots of editable parameters.

Then again... this post is biased since I have not used Pro Tools, just giving you the pros of Cubase :D

And just remember, Hans Zimmer uses Cubase for his scoring :p

Thanks Scorge, you hit the nail on the head with Hans Zimmer as he seems to use that electronic/orchestral blend so well.

Are you running in 64 bit mode (or in other words if I go 64 bit will my virtual instrument libraries integrate OK)?

Back