Cubase 4 Workflow Questions

surjer

So I have been doing this for a while and just wondering if there is a better approach.

Current Workflow

Create New Project1
Record Scratch Track of entire band. Just a couple of room mic's and (Midi Input from eDrum Kit to trigger Superior Drummer)
Export Stereo Track of Drums to new Audio File (Generic Preset from SD at this point)

Create New Project2
Import Drum Track
Record Guitar Tracks
Record Bass Tracks
Record Audio Tracks

At this point I may have upwards of 20 or so tracks depending on how many vocal tracks I have
Export Bass Stereo Track
Export Guitar Stereo Track

Open Project1
Import Stereo Bass Track
Import Stereo Guitar Track
Dial in Superior Drummer presets and send to multi channel
Fine tune Superior Drummer and all SD busses to get the best drum sound I can
Export Stereo Drum Track

Open Project2
Replace dull drum track with new stereo drum track
mix all parts / automation / effect / etc
Export Stereo Mix

Create Project3
Import Final Stereo Mix
On Stereo Bus add compression/eq to taste
Export Final Stereo Mastered File

Seems to me I am wasting alot of energy? The issue I have is that SD eats up a TON of memory as does a lot of the plugins. I have starting at least using FX tracks and will send my "like" vocals all to one effects track. Same for Rythm guitars and Lead guitars. Like, I eq all the rythm guitars the same so they just get sent to 1 single effects track. BUT, If I was to try and do everything all in 1 project my cpu cant keep up.

i am wondering if there are easier ways to do this like...

Could I??

Bounce to a single Stereo Track
(Hide Orginal Tracks but not LOOSE edits) but Cubase shouldnt process these file during playback)
Track new parts or do mixing or whatever and then restore original tracks to maybe make more edits. So on and so forth. OR, Do you just have a better faster way?

Wow man. I record a whole 10+ song record to one project folder. Usually 40 or so tracks for one record. I finish all tracking before I separate them into separate song files. Actually, by the time I even segregate them, most of the mixing is already 90% done.

Not sure why you feel the need to take so many steps.

You obviously have issues with the power of your PC. It is a tough thing to deal with when your computer cant keep up. Maybe record other instruments to a exported drum track, then mix on a computer that can handle it. Or pay me to mix it for you! lol!

I am not trying to sell you anything. You are obviously having to take measures to make up for performance issues with your PC. Do you not have a friend with a more powerful PC that you could borrow to mix on?

Yes, I agree there are computer performance issues. Not sure exactly why as its a pretty decent laptop. Intel i3 chip and 6gb ram. I can use my desktop machine which is the workhorse but realistically I am wanting to work smarter not just "throw CPU at it". I am looking for workflow advice. I mean, sometimes I will have 50-60 tracks in one song! lol We do alot of "gang" vocals which i will record 10-20 takes when i get the whole group together. Usually I will make a seperate project for JUST those takes and combine them all to one stereo track for my main mix but I shouldnt have to do that right? So, Is there a way to bounce to a stereo track and preserve the orginal tracks for later tweaking if necessary?

Should i be able to have 50-60 tracks all with plugins and automation etc and not have CPU issues?

Back