CryonicPAX - Melancholy REMIXED

violent grey

Did this the other day and was wondering if anyone wouldn't mind giving a listen on various systems you have around and getting back to me here, would love some feedback.

I'm in love with this song now so I'm pretty much lost in my ear, can't seem to find anything to take out or needing to be changed. I don't know how my mixes are translating. It sounds great in here! :)

cheers

CryonicPAX - Melancholy REMIXED

or

CryonicPAX - Melancholy - Violent Grey Remix by Violent Grey | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Listening on my studio monitors. They only thing the jumps out at me is the lows get overpowering. You've got something that sounds like a synth timpani that rattles my speakers. The low end is dubbish, but not really tight enough for that sound. If you assume your listeners has a sub-woofer, you might be okay. But I think this may have trouble translating to some listening systems. Nice song.

I think you did a great job. My feedback is subjective, but I felt like it was too much intro, and I was antsy for some rhythm to kick in.

Nothing is leaping out as desperately needing fixing on headphones.

That is nice. Anything standing out that is't as desperately needing to be fixed?

I did use my 7506 for a reference check.

Listening on my studio monitors. They only thing the jumps out at me is the lows get overpowering. You've got something that sounds like a synth timpani that rattles my speakers. The low end is dubbish, but not really tight enough for that sound. If you assume your listeners has a sub-woofer, you might be okay. But I think this may have trouble translating to some listening systems. Nice song.

The lows do rumble, it is intentional. Does it sound bad though? Can you be more specific on the synth timpani sound and the rattle? what monitors are you using and maybe describe your listening environment? This is a drum and bass artist project so yea there is a sub and its usually played in a club, outside, on a vinyl or high bit mp4 or wav. I did use a phone, headphones, and my monitoring system to assist my edits, but I do not have a regular stereo to check it on, so I really appreciate the details.

I think you did a great job. My feedback is subjective, but I felt like it was too much intro, and I was antsy for some rhythm to kick in.

Thanks. This was really the first real mix I did and I did it in my home studio, after a few years of research and of course, I have been around speakers and music and instruments all my life. The artist did his thing, I had no control over the production of the song. There would be a thing or two Id like to change myself, but thats isnt what Im supposed to do as a mixer or mastering final.

This was entirely for educational purposes and I got the song here Mixing Secrets For The Small Studio (Cambridge Music Technology).

Here is the original from the artist...

PAX - Melancholy by cryonicPAX | Cryonic PAX | Free Listening on SoundCloud

I had done a few mixes from CL but they were all natural instruments, live recording bands, and tbh they didnt sound good. I dont have a real SSL but I do have a virtual one, and have been learning it over the past year since I got the update to my DAW.

I would love to know more! I did the lows as they are because tbh, they sound good on my end like that, so I was hoping I could get that to come out without over powering it. I admit, it extrudes... and I do want that. There is no clipping of course, and I really didnt push the softwares, I dont like loosing the quality for loudness.

This song represents the best sound I can muster with the skills and room and monitoring I currently have formulated. Im always on the search for ways to improve. I really appreciate this feedback you all provided me! I hope you enjoyed the song, I wonder If I did over do it on some character sounds that simply arent there in the original mix... I edited them in with the software and my tuning. Which I really think I ahve a niche for, always had the ear... but really, am only learning how to make it sound better.

I love the Izotope 8 Advanced plugin I got... that thing is really where the master shines... the mix was improved because I have a nice template, finally, and a usb mixer fader controller spanning 33 channels of audio, and 3 bus master faders... Im using 3 of those xtouch compacts with Reason 9.5 along with presonus Eris 8's and the Temblor t10 sub... I added 250 sq ft acoustic treatment in the room as well. and I have two separate setups or location configurations for mixing, and mastering... as well as a third, for production, but I did not produce this song. I just imported the stems to audio channels in a template I made and off I went. I did maybe 6 mixes over the course of the night, with no sub. It all came together that night tbh, mixing soft, you can hear the mix just right when your monitors are positioned correctly and you cover your first and second reflections. The next day I added the sub in the master and that still seems to be an area where I need to have my sub louder in the room, so my mix isnt emphasized in the lows as much. I know exactly where the sub level is right now, and in this mix here, and where I have to have it, but my room is too small for that level and I need a cloud, some moving blankets hanging on the wall surface nicely fit, as well as a carpet on the floor, will greatly improve the sound and finalize my studio till I analyze it properly with a mic and software, AND then add quadratic diffusion...

My goal is to make a studio where I can do my sound design, mix a song together and master it, all by myself. I will send my mixes off to be mixed so I can compare and learn more, and improve, as well as mastering. I am fully aware that I should not be the final mix nor master, but I do want to be able to create the best sound possible, by understanding those processes and implementing them before sending them off for a REAL engineer. I may be under the impression that the better it sounds when you give it to them, the better they can make it...

I wish I had the funds to get the UAD 8 core satellite with specific plugins, the ones that mimic the hardware ideally, the manley mastering suite, pulltec, shadow hills, fair child, tube tec, etc. but its around 2k$ atm est for my item list. I have a few other things I need before I can commit to that financially.

Last edited:
Back