Crying Inside - would really appreciate some feedback

Humbucker

The singer is a vocal student of my wife's, she is only 15 and this is her first every recording. I played all the instruments(apart from the drums, my wife programmed those) and did all the production/mixing. I'm pretty happy with the mix but I feel the piano is getting a little buried, and perhaps the drums are lacking in some bottom end. I would love to hear your thoughts, the girl is coming tomorrow and we are gonna present her with the finished song on CD :) I did a touch of 'mastering'(I don't like calling it that as what I do doesn't really qualify, I prefer to term it as 'polishing') with some slight EQing, some compression and some limiting. I am gonna be taking out that 'pop' sound at the end too. All comments/opinions very welcome!

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=7663

Piano does seem a bit burried. Your right, not enough bottom end on the drums. The bass kick is pretty much absent in my system. Drums overall could be treated a little better, other than that they do sound pretty good (fill-wise etc.). I cant put my finger on whats lacking with the bass guitar soundwise...a little bit more boom maybe?
Did she write this song as well? She's got a great voice, thats for sure.

Mike

Nightfire said:
Piano does seem a bit burried. Your right, not enough bottom end on the drums. The bass kick is pretty much absent in my system. Drums overall could be treated a little better, other than that they do sound pretty good (fill-wise etc.). I cant put my finger on whats lacking with the bass guitar soundwise...a little bit more boom maybe?
Did she write this song as well? She's got a great voice, thats for sure.

Mike

Thanks for your comments :)

Yeah, you pretty much confirmed everything I was kinda iffy about - I'm gonna get back to work on it tomorrow and work on all those things. The subject matter of the song is hers but my wife helped her put it into lyrics, did the majority of the melody and also initially wrote the music on guitar :)

Only thing I'm missing is the kick.. somehow so soft-sounding it isn't getting through.. bass OK, guits OK, and the rest of the drums. Nice vox.
Toms also a tad weak??...

Back