Cry Baby Cry, Beatles, slightly different!

Nice, I like it. :)
Strings sound great and the drums sound like it was really recorded in the 60's.
I think you do it justice ;)

Cheers
Joe

Very very nice... Excellent interpretation.

All parts done well.

But ... :)

The effected vocal in the middle needs to be up more.
The guitar licks near the end a little softer.

The lead vocals are very dry. And, if I may be so bold, might I suggest an artist that has a similar vocal style and sound, from whom you may find songs that could also be well covered or inspirational - Freedy Johnson. Especially his CD "This Perfect World".

The vocals seem wrong. Maybe too dry, maybe not glistening enough, I'm not sure.

My favorite part of the original is the drum groove, its one of Ringo's best, especially the open hi-hat hit right after the snare hit in the second verse? I missed it from this one.

But yeah, really great stuff, different feel but still keeping true to the original feel.

Wow, thanks all!

I'm going back to the studio this friday to get it all right, and recording Dear Martha with another artist for the same cd. Michaelst, I checked out Freedy Johnston, never heard of him before but it's awesome, thanks a lot for the tip!

My personal opinion is that the music is fantastic but the singer sounds almost monotone. The vocals (for me personally) are very bland and almost boring. It's a great ong and with more emotion from the singers point might bring it back to life but as a consumer, I wouldn't want to listen to that version again.

Sorry if that sounds a little harsh, I'm just being honest from my point of view/sound.

I actually think the singer fits this version quite well, although I think I would have added background vocal harmonies (think "ooohs" and "ahhhs" and "lalalas" rather than harmonizing with the main melody). This version entertains more than the original, but a good song is a good song no matter the style. I would have finished it at 2:48 and chopped off the ending, the rest is filler.

The only thing I would have done recording-wise would be to get a cleaner, crisper mandolin sound at the beginning and add a touch more reverb on the vocals (I may have even double tracked the vocals). I just want more punch for the mandolin - I want to hear it sparkle. I think this has more to do with the playing than the recording - try playing with a lighter pick and strum more softly next time, then just bring up the volume in the mix. It's sort of counter-intuitive but this generally yields some great results and if you're particularly adept at the mandolin then double track it, but this will only work if you can play it twice with the same timing/rhythm/inflection.

As it stands though it sounds great. Which mag is it in?

Back