Crud on RCA in/ouputs

GuitarTricks

I've got an old original Alesis Midiverb (1987?) which would work great except the rca inputs and outputs are crusted with so much corrosion I can't get a good connection. I've tried scraping away at them with various things like small knives or screwdrivers etc.... but I still get channels cutting out whenever I touch the cables the wrong way.
I need a way to un-corrode these things properly. & I'd prefer not to have to replace em cause parts for this thing are tough to find.

Is there a chemical that will help loosen the corrosion or anything that'll make them easier to clean.

Yes. DeOxIt D5. It will get that crud off and provide a good connection again. Other than a bit of Scotch or Bourbon, its my favorite chemical. Handy for dirty connections in mixers and pots too.

Cut your leg off and you will not even notice those fucked up RCA jacks. Worked for my girlfriend when she bitched about my cables being all over the place.....I highly reccomend this practice.:cool:

However if you are chicken....you should just replace them. The jacks probably cost 50 cents each......you'd have tp pull it apart and see if they are circuit board mounted though. If they are, you have to be a decent iron wielder.

Or.......

Use sandpaper. Should work wonders. For the inside contact, just roll a small poece up real tight and stick it in there......

ya know? Get the picture?:D

And if anyone should disagree with what you are doing, then express the desire to see their first born to their grave.

heylow

a wire brush or sandpaper will work in the short term, but if you think they're corroded now wait till you scrape off the plating and the air hits em.

Back