Crown D75 Power Amp on the Net?

nostrovia

I've been looking for a dealer on the Internet that carries the Crown D75 power amps but I haven't found even one. I've checked all of the major retails like 8thstreet.com, zzounds.com, and music123.com, but no luck. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

BTW, I am looking to power a pair of Tannoy Reveals with this amp, but would also like to know if the Samson Servo 120 or Samson Servo 150 would be adequate. I don't know what everyone's opinions are on the Samson amps, but I read in a discussion on Deja.com that the Crown amps have a tendency to help clean up the "screechy high end" on the NS10s. I thought that was interesting, but I don't know if that is relevant with the Reveals. Any thoughts guys? Thanks!

Go easy on me this is my first post... :)
Nos

Talk about coincidence...first I find out that R.E. lives near me, now this. I have exactly that amp and those speakers. There are people who say that Crowns in general aren't ideal for powering nearfields (I never quite understood why) but I have no problem. There's not a lotta spare power, technically, you're supposed to have 50 watts per channel; I have to turn the volume controls up about halfway to get decent volume (85 dB).

But this is a Crown amp and I've never heard the slightest buzz, crackle, or distortion from the amp or the speakers, and I've never had the feeling that I was running out of headroom. In fact I've turned it up to almost full volume to play along with a few times and it still sounded great.

I bought the amp used on the net years ago, don't ask how much because you would cry...now if you want to hear what I think of the speakers, check out https://homerecording.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000003.html

[This message has been edited by Dragon (edited 11-12-1999).]

Thanks guys! The truth is after seeing the going price of the Crown amp, I have to admitt it is a bit more than I'd like to spend. The Samson Servo 120 is looking pretty good to me at only $159 (http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837). The thing I am not sure of is if this amp is powerful enough to drive the Tannoy Reaveals. The specs say the amp is 60 watts per channel into 4 ohms (stereo). Dragon, I know you have a pair of the Reveals, is this the correct wattage. I am still trying to figure out how watts and ohms relate to each other in the amp/monitor world.

Here's what I am thinking. If the Samson amp is 60 watts per channel at 4 ohms, it is probably about 50 watts per channel at 6 ohms. Which would make it ideal for the Reveals. Does that sound about right?

That sounds about right to me. I don't know how good their amps are personally though.

Back