Crossovers?

livilaNic

What would be a good brand of crossovers?

I need a crossover for Lo-Fi, Hi-Fi. Passive Monitors. I'm not sure what I should be looking for. I have a pair of Yamaha 8's 50 watters. EMIT Ribbon Tweets from an old pair of Infinity RS- somethings. Stuffed em' in old ass KEF coda III boxes. I used the crossover from the RS's but it sounds like ass. Like the Driver is fighting for space from the tweet.

Would I need Passive Crossovers or Active Crossovers? If active would I need Amps to run each active? Bi-Amped? I'm so f-in confused here. What Hz would I be looking for? 1,300Hz, 300Hz? :S.

Thx,
livilaNic

Last edited:
livilaNic said:
Would I need Passive Crossovers or Active Crossovers?

Well, either, but if you just have a stereo amp, then you need passives.

If active would need Amps to run each active? Bi-Amped?

Yes, you would need the active crossover, and two amp channels per side (biamped), that's two stereo amps.

I'm so f-in confused here. What Hz would I be looking for? 1,300Hz, 300Hz?

1300 is too low for most tweeters, and 300 is more like a sub crossover (actually too high for that). The frequency you select is usually dependent on how low your tweeters can go and still remain flat, which tends to be 2500Hz. Coincidentally, woofers start to drop at about the same frequency.

Try one of these:

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?webpage_id=3&SO=2&&DID=7&CATID=48&ObjectGroup_ID=193

Don't expect these speakers to be paragons of accuracy. They might be, but probably not. They could sound pretty good though.

First of all thx for the info ms. I was looking for CO's from there and that's where I saw the 1.300Hz roll off.

Anywho,

I'll take a look at those. Alot cheaper then the other ones I found. All I know is the sound of these speaks now sound like crap. They sounded decent in my Infinity boxes but there was more room and mid's.

mshilarious said:
Don't expect these speakers to be paragons of accuracy. They might be, but probably not. They could sound pretty good though.

So...What would you suggest? New louds? Or tweets?

Thx,
livilaNic

Last edited:
livilaNic said:
So...What whould you suggest? New louds? Or tweets?

Cabinets are usually designed around the speakers, or the speakers are selected for the box . . . point is they are parts of a system. If your cabinets are drastically different, there isn't going to be a plug-n-play solution.

The crossovers a worth a shot, simply because they are cheap, and if they don't work well for this project, they'll be useful in something else.

Back