Critque Please

r4m

What do you guys hear that I could improve my mixing and mastering.
I am kinda new to home recording. I use a Zoom MRS1044. And I upload
to n-track for mixing. Then I reload back to my Zoom for mastering.
I just use a mastering preset from my recorder. But now I am experimenting
with some compression and eq with some free plugins in n-track. This song
that I am posting, I used a preset from my Zoom.
Thanks for comments! You can be brutal with me. I'm a big boy!!

Click Here Please

Bill

Dang! I think this is very good.
How did you do the drums? The 1044 only does two tracks at a time so I had trouble recording drums with mine.

Oh and nice guitar work my friend.

EdWonbass said:
Dang! I think this is very good.
How did you do the drums? The 1044 only does two tracks at a time so I had trouble recording drums with mine.

Oh and nice guitar work my friend.

Thanks EdWonbass! I did this as a collab. I didn't do the drum mix. It is an
acoustic kit though. The drummer did the drum mix.

I think the mix or mastering needs something but I'm not sure what.

Wow... very good. Nice guitar work. I wish I could help you with the mix but I'm having enough problems with my own mixes. Hey! Wanna mix mine? hahahaha

The drums are not very big but oh well. The guitars sound boxy and narrow with no real low end or fullness to them. The rythym guitar especially is not holding it's own in the mix.

Try posting a version before your "mastering" and adjusting your mix first.
There's a lot not quite right but it's hard to know what is fixable with the after effects added.

...sigh...another instrumental huh?

7string said:
Wow... very good. Nice guitar work. I wish I could help you with the mix but I'm having enough problems with my own mixes. Hey! Wanna mix mine? hahahaha

Ha! Ha! Thanks 7 string!

jake-owa said:
The drums are not very big but oh well. The guitars sound boxy and narrow with no real low end or fullness to them. The rythym guitar especially is not holding it's own in the mix.

Try posting a version before your "mastering" and adjusting your mix first.
There's a lot not quite right but it's hard to know what is fixable with the after effects added.

...sigh...another instrumental huh?

Thanks for the reply. Could my recordings be suffering form recording 16 bit?
Or is it just my lack of skills? Here is a dry mix:
Thanks
Dry Mix

Uh, 16 bit is not your problem, it's just a practical limit.

These problems always start at the source. Go from amp to mic and work on the relationship between them to get your best possible sound. Spend tons of time there.

The guitars all have one dominant tone that is being unintentionally added to the mix. I would assume it's an amp/room harmonic that is giving the tone but it almost sounds boxy with a ringy overtone. I would try micing off axis and closer to the guitar amp. Sometimes a room mic will fill things out a lot but in this case I would look into getting the amp elsewhere to record it. The guitar sound is very processed and seems to be missing some natural vibe or magic if that makes any sense.

The drum mix lacks depth and fullness in the mids and lows. The drums and bass need to lock up in the sonic low end more.

Geezus, that's some great playing, you really need to spend time getting that guitar sound the best it can be. You want beefy rythym and a cutting ass lead that pokes out of the mix in the right ways.

Well, the unmastered version sounds better for sure.

That's all I got from here.

jake

Thanks again for the time to critque! The lead guitars are actually 4 different
guys. This was a collab type jam. But being that I am not a singer (that would really bring some negitive critque :) ) I use collabs that I can get
my hands on to play with. Being you got an ear for music, you will be
able to tell where the guitars change players:
First solo Me:--- Amp model from my Zoom MRS1044
Second solo:---- Either a v-amp or a J-station (wet signal)
Third solo:-------POD XT (wet signal)
Fourth solo:-----Don't know what he used(dry signal to me I added effects)
Rym guitars------Amp model from my Zoom MRS1044

Drummer did his own mix
Not sure what the bass player used

So...with that being said, you can see that alot is from amp modeling.
Is that a problem? Or can a guy get some good tone from amp modeling?

I have a V-series Crate all tube amp but most of my recording is late at
night and family is asleep. And a lower line condenser mic.

thanks again ;)

Yeah, the sounds you are after are being simulated and the magic is not there as it could be with some nice amps and mics. I should have guessed all direct sounds.

I wold make a commitment to use an amp and a mic next time and work on that whole other skill that is so vital in good music.

Jake's pretty much got this thing nailed. The only thing I would like to add, is that I hear a lot of really good guitar playing in these mp3's that are posted here for our enjoyment/critique. It's a goddamn shame you can't hear it on the radio anymore.

Bad ass guitar, indeed! Great to hear.
I'm not a big fan of glamrock or gratuitous guitar solos, but this is just plain good shit.

I think the sound could be better. Maybe a bit "boxy" as said. But that's always the case. It'd be a shame not to get the best recording possible of this, though, so try it out.

Thanks for the direction and compliments guys!
Guess I'll have to start looking into this amp and mic thing.

Back