Critique this Song?

BBZ,

It sounds pretty sweet. Excellect guitar playing! The ECM's are great little mics on acoustic guitars. What was your mic placement? What compression settings did you use? When I record classical guitar I find myself using a bit more compression than I normally would. It helps tame stray notes and string plucks.

Shane

I think the sound quality is excellent. You're playing's pretty darn good too. Those mics are picking up all the tiny imperfections, as well as your breathing (or moving in the chair - I'm not sure), but I like to hear those things - especially with a solo instrument. It makes it more real.

Great job!

Sea - thanks for the compliment. My only gripe is the very hissy ECM8000's I used. Not too good for a classical guitar project.

Thanks!

bbZ

...Are you related to John Williams ? Do you record it at home ? Good work bbZ. You should post how you capture it. The mic placement, distance, comp ratio & setting, etc etc...

And don't you better post it in mp3 Clinic ?

;)
Jaymz

BBZ,

The ecm's should not be hissy at all. I use them to record acoustics and mine are very quiet. You may want to check your cables and conections. The only problem with the ecm's is how sensitive they are to external noise. I have a small iso room that I record my acoustic tracks in to eliminate that problem.

Here is a sample of a recording I did with the ECM's and they are real clean sounding.

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2149&alid=-1

Shane, nice sound. But classical guitar demands a quiet mic and the ECM8000 doesn't cut it. I just A/B'd it side by side with my AT4033 and the 4033 is much, much quieter. The 8000 had a noticible amount of hiss. I'm sure the 8000 is great for many applications but classical guitar is not one of them.

James, I wanted to this board to critique the tune from a recorders POV not an average medicated mp3 listener. Hence, the post.

Uhhh..... who else do you expect to find at homerecording.com, if not people with "recorders POV?" James' point was that within this homerecording forum, there is a place for everything, and the place for THIS is the mp3 clinic. James, unlike yourself, has been around long enough to know this. What exactly did you mean by "an average medicated mp3 listener?"

Funny thing is, you seem to be attacking James, even though he only offered one suggestion, and everything else was VERY positive....

Chris

BBZ,

Any recording demands a quiet mic! What you have is something all together different. I recorded a classical guitar with an ecm and again I did not have any noise problems. If you are getting that much noise from your ecm's then you have a problem somewhere in the chain or you have a bad mic. Check it out.

Shane

Shane, I A/B'd the ECM8000's with an AT4033 and the 8000's were full of hiss, the 4033 dead quiet.

Back