Critique this mix

good song. i like the melody and chord progression. Great vocals too man too man. The drums don't flow very well. They sound programmed. The drum rolls don't sound natural like they would with an actual drummer. There are some guys here that do an amazing job on programming drums...they could probably help you tighten it up some. The actual sound of the drums is pretty good. The guitar has a little too much edge to it....its a bit harsh. Try cutting with eq around 4k. The guitar is also walking over the vocal. I would bring down the guitar level when the vocal is going on.

cool tune!

Vocal is out in front again, and way too much compression on the master buss.

Vocal is out in front again, and way too much compression on the master buss.

The first stanza is in a pretty good place in the mix, around 0:35, it gets too out-front.
Do you have reverb on the lead vocals? It sounds like there's a lot more of it on the other instruments, especially guitar. The lower lead especially sounds dry. The rest of the mix has depth like it was recorded in a modestly-sized room, but the lead vocals sound like they were done in a padded closet.

What you did with xXx mix 2 is a much better representation of this sound.

Alright guys very valuable advice. I totally forgot to wet that lead guitar!! [/url]

Vox, you mean?

Hmmm... Is that the same 'verb and settings you used on the other instruments? I don't know if if it's right for the vox. It's emphasizing the sibilants a lot.

Back