Critique this DAW setup please

Reaper is free. Find out for yourself! Do some test runs. As Unity says, reaper doesn't discriminate.

Thanks a lot. I don't have the gear yet, just wanted to see if problems may arise. I have done more research and it seems XP Media Centre can cause problems when using it for audio. You can remove the MC components but I fear unknown side effects on other aspects of the computer's operation. I think I will look for another laptop. Shame, I could have got a good deal.

Just install another operating system if you're so worried about MCE. That should end your problems. In fact, it will even run in Linux under Wine, but that may be a bit of a headache to setup (I've never tried it).

Reaper is free. Find out for yourself! Do some test runs. As Unity says, reaper doesn't discriminate.

From reaper's download page:

REAPER is not free. Be sure to purchase a license if you use it past the evaluation period. The full license agreement will be presented to you when you run the installer.

Edit: I should mention that it's totally free to download and try which is what I think razor was getting at. If you lik eit you will need to buy the license and support the developers. :)

Last edited:
Reaper is designed to be efficient with resources, so that may make up for some weak link in the computer elsewhere. One thing I just did was to load a copy of my studio DAW Reaper on a thumbdrive so I can run it from a laptop that way. I have an external LaCie hard drive that I can take on location with a firewire mixer and simply USB data from the laptop to the LaCie. No more problems with slow drives or drive read/write conflicts. Then I reconnect the LaCie to the studio DAW and have all my toys handy. I'm recording a blues band tomorrow night with twelve tracks this way - should be a good test of the system; I'll report back.

Reaper has a utility for copying the whole shebang onto a thumb drive. Smart. :D

Back