Critique these mixes please?

Ravenwing

These represent my first three attempts at multi-track recording and mixing. Actually, the third one is only one track. Would really appreciate comments/criticisms!

Thanks,

Nate

I am an idiot

But not usually this much! The url is correct now. Apologies to those who tried to follow the bad link.

Nate

That's some old folk stuff! Nice job, I like your singing, very down to earth and basic, perfect for this music.

The first song had a bit too much bass, and I couldn't hear the guitar on the left. I had to turn the bass way down to pick it out, and then it had a real tinny sound to it. The banjo sounded like the strings are old! I mean ancient, absolutely no tone whatsoever. Yoy might be able to EQ out some mid range to give it a fuller sound.

The second dong your vocals need to come up and again the guitar is heard to hear. The banjo is too loud and needs the same EQ as mentioned earlier. Just my opinion, there are other folks here that have better ears than me and need to jump in and help. Hope this helps.

Hey, I appreciate the reply. Let me go into the setup a little bit. I think it might be helpful. I record the tracks dry, through the tape-outs on a Mackie powered PMX2000 mixer, into a Fostex MR8. Then I dump the tracks into n-Tracks using the card, and mix from there.

There is no bass (as such) on either of the songs, other than that provided by the guitar, so apparently that's part of the eq problem. The guitar was recorded using a Sunrise Magnetic soundhole pickup, and I probably need to eq it more. That's a pretty hot pickup, and perhaps putting a mic on it as well would help. I probably had it panned to far to the right also. I was trying to avoid putting everything right in the center, you know?

If you're used to hearing bluegrass style banjo, that could account for the "old string" sound. This is an openbacked banjo with nylon strings, and is sort of supposed to sound "plunky". Again, I'm sure you're right about the eq. I've tried not to use much eq, since you read so much about it being overused. The banjo is recorded using an sm57 strapped to the dowel stick (underneath the head).

I'm primarily a banjo player, so perhaps that accounts for having the banjo too loud in the mix. As far as the vocal on the second song needing to come up, do you think it's because I put too much reverb on it, and that set it back? Just wondering. Also, it seems like if I bring the vocal up any more, I can hear some distortion at times, (clipping?) But it's not reflected in the meters, if it is cllipping. Maybe I'm just recording the vocal too hot? I'm using an SM86 for the vocals.

Again, thanks for the comments! I know I have a lot to learn.

Nate

Back