Critique the mix?

First - Nice effects on the guitars - maybe a touch too much on the left guitar (is that a guitar though hmmmmm). Ok, when the music really gets going I'm getting a lot of distortion - bass related maybe? The percussion used during the voice part sounds like what I call clackers - what is that, it's pretty cool... Other than the distortion this is a very hot tune - lots going on and very well written, mixed and played. It would be best if others listened/commented too to ensure it's not just me hearing the distortion on the loud parts on my PC speakers.....

Thank you. Yeah, that's a strat on the left...just barely audible, mostly for texture. I upped the bass just before I converted to mp3. I better check that out 'cause you're probably right, it's probably distorting....yep! Novice mistake, but corrected now. That clacking is just some pink noise. I intended to use some telephone voice there...just experimenting.
Thanks a lot for the listen and your comments, I appreciate it. :cool:
Cheers!

Last edited:
No distortion now - other than that intended for the pice I hope. The "clackers" travel nicely across the soundstage though are pretty much up front, maybe they should move forward & back as well as side to side.
The smack/smash 2.29 & 2.37 etc. needs to be clearer (as in what it is & where it sits) as it id a distraction at present.
The keys are cool & the guitar sounds sound like guitars - congrats.
Quite a good piece. I look forward to hearing a vocal version, I assume from your comment that that is in the works.
Cheers
rayC

I think I don't understand what you guys mean by "clackers". Is it the smack/smash percussion sound during the chorus? It's on my keyboard as "smash hit". I think this is what you guys are referring to. I didn't get a real clean take on that ..........very perceptive ears people. I rushed it a bit and didn't think anybody would notice. I thought that they were sitting pretty far back in the mix. I really need some better speakers or monitors for mixing. I've gone through 2 sets of Altecs w/subs already.
Yes, my singer buddy is learning to smoke cigarettes so she can get that gravely sound I so much desire. :eek:
Thanks guys, I'll keep at it. Very good feedback.

"Clackers" - there is a sound - simialr to a couple of large marbles banging into each other - or two wooden/metal/glass balls on eith end of a piece of string that are bounced against each other by jerking on the centre point of the string.
Cheers
rayC

Hey this is cool. Sounds kind out calm and relaxing then out of nowhere explodes, good work with that. I like when music has dynamics like that. Pretty catchy and trippy overall. Sounds good, no real mix comments from me right now, look forward to hearing some vox. ;)

I finally understand about the "clackers". It's very obvious through headphones...which I rarely use for playback. Yes, that's a bit annoying. I totally missed it.
Thanks guys! I'll fix it.

The song is very avant, but a little 80's action movie sounding. Or even a bit Sega Genesis video game soundtrack sounding. It's well played and has a lot of texture. But other than some interesting guitar textures, I'm really not getting anything from it. If the song were being played in the background of something I migh make a connection to it, but not on it's own. It has kind of a stop-start feeling to it where it kind of goes around in circles and doesnt get anywhere.

As an arrangement this is very good and very interesting. Ther are a lot of different little things going on that keep the arrangement going. The instruments chosen were put to good use, and there arent more then there needs to be.

The recordin is very clean. All the instruments have their own space and are represented well. The guitar pannign is used well and not too often.

The technical aspects of the song are well executed, I just found the composition a little dull.

Just stopped in to listen again... enjoyed the tune again and much more this time - the distortion I was getting before is completely gone. Good mix overall. Just readin gthe previous post and I agree, this might be a good candidate for theme music - tv, movie, series something like that. It is well written and performed and has a smooth, catchy groove. Will you be removing the "clackers" and reposting - if yes give it a bump to let me know.
Glad I stopped in to enjoy it once again.

To be honest, I don't know what to do with this tune. It was just 2 chords that I ran with on a sunday afternoon. I think stuff like this could be decent soundtrack material for ....I dunno, something. I'm thinking more about soundtrack stuff lately, since my singer has been on the mend. We talked and are gonna finish this tune though. Unfortunately, this is the only place where I can get fellow musicians to listen to my crap. I do appreciate you guys taking the time to help me.
I don't really spend more than a weekend on a tune...usually 6 hrs or so per tune.
Man, it's tough loving music, and doing it, and yet, trying to do something that other people will like, ya know. In the end, I guess you just gotta go with your gut and record the truth.
I dunno. I'll fix the clackers, but I'm moving on.
Thanks again! You guys ROCK ! :D

Back