Critique Request

uh_me

So I recorded this pretty quickly the other day. As such, I do know they are a few timing issues. Especially towards the end. There is also a really weird sound in the middle that almost sounds like a pick scrape. I have no idea what it is to be honest. Also, after listening to it again, the last long note at the end, I I think I should have gone up a few semitones towards the middle. These are my own critiques, but I would like some more input as well. Especially on the harmony vocals, and any general tips on vocal lines in general. Thanks is much appreciated

Last edited:
It sounds a bit like early Cat Stevens - there are some slightly odd things. First of course is the hiss, but you soon tune that out. There is a continual image shift, like a delay but it pops back in a different place - so a kind of double hit. The guitar is quite dull and distant. Your voice is also quite muffled in places. I really don't think the unison section with two voices works - it's not harmony, but unison, but the tuning differences make it a bit odd to listen. Is it a very reverby room, or something you added. The long last note I quite like actually. I get the impression of a lot of distance between the guitar and you vs the mic. Your voice fits the song fine - just a little odd sounding, with the wierd left right movements?

How did you record it?

So I recorded this pretty quickly the other day. As such, I do know they are a few timing issues. Especially towards the end. There is also a really weird sound in the middle that almost sounds like a pick scrape. I have no idea what it is to be honest. Also, after listening to it again, the last long note at the end, I I think I should have gone up a few semitones towards the middle. These are my own critiques, but I would like some more input as well. Especially on the harmony vocals, and any general tips on vocal lines in general. Thanks is much appreciated

First thing the song is good - the Vibe is good - the recording is bad - you have got to get the mic closer and use two microphones at least - I have the same question that @rob aylestone has - how is it recorded and on what kind of device?

I don't have any issue with the song, or the vocal performance itself, but it's hard to make any critical judgements. The recording sounds like it was done on one of these, circa 1975.

cassette.jpg

First, thanks for to everyone for the input. Greatly appreciate it.

The hiss is something I actually added in, oddly enough. My thought process in a lot of this was trying to recreate the sound I had heard in a lot of old home recordings I'd heard as a kid. And the hiss was my approximation of the tape hiss I'd heard. So, I guess mission accomplished haha.

The entire thing was recorded on a Tascam DR-05. Its the only thing in way of recording that I have. Then mixed it down in audacity.

I re uploaded it with essentially the raw tracks, minus the backing vocals since I guess those just aren't working. Just adjusted volumes to kinda match.

You deleted the other one, so we can't compare the two? Am I detecting some distortion on the vocals. They're pretty hard. You usuing the built on mics? This one has more guitar and less voice, but the guitar tone is better. That weird left/right effect has gone.

Honestly, wasn't even thinking about comparing. I'll throw it back up. It def didn't clip, and the only distortion on the "raw mix" is the natural from my voice itself. And yes, the built in mics.

The original I put up had a touch on there, but was more for the tape deck sound I was trying to make.

First, thanks for to everyone for the input. Greatly appreciate it.

The hiss is something I actually added in, oddly enough. My thought process in a lot of this was trying to recreate the sound I had heard in a lot of old home recordings I'd heard as a kid. And the hiss was my approximation of the tape hiss I'd heard. So, I guess mission accomplished haha.
I would say you certainly achieved that!

FWIW, someone years ago posted a song that was ultra clean and clear, but had almost a "Robert Johnson" sound. You know the guitar/vocal sound that was captured on the old 78s. At the time, I made a comment that if someone added some fake record noise, some clicks and pops, and some hiss, people would be fooled into thinking it was a long lost recording. I even did a few seconds with the surface noise as an example.

The trouble is, of course, that we have no way of knowing if you just used lousy recording equipment or technique, or if you were doing it for artistic reasons, which of course is a valid choice. Witness the opening segment of Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here.

Personally, I tend to favor wanting things to sound clean and real. I had enough tape and record noise over the previous 50 years that when I heard pure digital, it was like manna from heaven.

Of course, you could always do the whole recording clean and clear, then dump it to a cassette deck and back to lock in some of the old "analog feel", strictly for artistic reasons of course. 😜

I would say you certainly achieved that!

FWIW, someone years ago posted a song that was ultra clean and clear, but had almost a "Robert Johnson" sound. You know the guitar/vocal sound that was captured on the old 78s. At the time, I made a comment that if someone added some fake record noise, some clicks and pops, and some hiss, people would be fooled into thinking it was a long lost recording. I even did a few seconds with the surface noise as an example.

The trouble is, of course, that we have no way of knowing if you just used lousy recording equipment or technique, or if you were doing it for artistic reasons, which of course is a valid choice. Witness the opening segment of Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here.

Personally, I tend to favor wanting things to sound clean and real. I had enough tape and record noise over the previous 50 years that when I heard pure digital, it was like manna from heaven.

Of course, you could always do the whole recording clean and clear, then dump it to a cassette deck and back to lock in some of the old "analog feel", strictly for artistic reasons of course. 😜
Well, honestly I think it was a bit both. My recording equipment is really limited: the one little hand held recorder. My experience recording is vastly smaller than playing, so Its almost always guess and check with no real idea what I'm doing. More just fumbling around until I get closer to the sound in my head. And, on top of that, I'm actually quite a bit out of my element style-wise. I'm more used to playing/singing a little... louder... music (Zeppelin, Alice in Chains)

While I love the analog sounds (in the right context), if its unbearable to listen to I think I've made an error somewhere along the way. Art is only as good as the people it can affect. I guess I need to work on the balancing act a bit more.

I did have a good laugh at the picture though. My dad and uncle actually used one of those, or at least one really similar, to record a cassette tape full of songs. Its part of the reason I made some of the original choices. Trying to recreate that.

Back