Critique on my 1st Direct Input 3 track "metal" guitar mix! (Took 4 hours in Logic..)

How is my first mix?!

• Honestly not too bad for a beginner!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Could really use a lot of work, but you're on the right track.

• Just give up all hope of mixing, please.

• Total voters

aaronglass

Critique on my 1st Direct Input 3 track "metal" guitar mix! (Took 4 hours in Logic..)

Hey, it's my first mix ever.

I recorded the electric guitars DI. Then, used Native Instruments' guitar plugin for them on a custom preset. I then used tons of EQ and a few default "EZMix" presets.

It sounds better than I started off with. It's 3 tracks.

Rhythm - Panned -16 left
Rhythm 2 - Panned 16+ right
Lead - center 0

The band isn't terribly amazing, so the guitars are WAY off time. But, I was just wondering if there's any advice out there on EQ/getting rid of the mud/minimizing the "room" sound.

This was sort of the "test run" to put everything I learned (online, lol) about mixing into a demo.

Thanks!

-Aaron Glass

Would you be willing to make the DI tracks available?

Yeah, the timing needs a lot of work.

The tones are high-mid heavy and unpleasantly gritty and it's lacking real bottom end or low-mid substance.

Last edited:
Do you mean just the clean tracks? Sure, download the zip here. It comes with the cleans and just the tones applied. No eq or anything. A demo mix with some explanation would be amazing.

Guitars.zip

Would you be willing to make the DI tracks available?

Yeah, the timing needs a lot of work.

The tones are high-mid heavy and unpleasantly gritty and it's lacking real bottom end or low-mid substance.

What he said! ^^^

Did you do much eq'ing on the guitars? It just seems like there's huge chunks of it missing (lows/lowmids) or the highs and upper mids have been boosted waaaay up.

For a first mix it's not horrible, but it could definitely use some fixing in the eq realm.

Back