Critique my setup

Oafy C

I just ordered this for my first setup.

Studio Projects VTB-1 Tube Blend Mic Preamp
Behringer ADA8000 Ultragain Pro-8 A/D/A Converter
Behringer TRUTH B2031A Active Monitors (Pair)
M-Audio ProFire Lightbridge
Nady RSM-4

I also got all the cables that I will need. I also have a Studio Projects B3 and a MXL V67G.

Is there anything I should change about this order before it ships? The only thing I am really unsure about is the Studio Projects pre. I will also be using it as a DI and I read it isn't great as a DI. The reviews I read on it were from around 4 years ago. Is there anything better out now for under $200. I was looking at either this or the M-Audio 2 channel pre.

I just ordered this for my first setup.

Studio Projects VTB-1 Tube Blend Mic Preamp
Behringer ADA8000 Ultragain Pro-8 A/D/A Converter
Behringer TRUTH B2031A Active Monitors (Pair)
M-Audio ProFire Lightbridge
Nady RSM-4

I also got all the cables that I will need. I also have a Studio Projects B3 and a MXL V67G.

Is there anything I should change about this order before it ships? The only thing I am really unsure about is the Studio Projects pre. I will also be using it as a DI and I read it isn't great as a DI. The reviews I read on it were from around 4 years ago. Is there anything better out now for under $200. I was looking at either this or the M-Audio 2 channel pre.
Instead of getting the VTB-1, which is a gd pre(or so i've heard), I'd get an m-audio dmp3(2 pres for not much more, with build in DIs, i think, and better/just as good reviews). If it's too late, it should matter too much, although the behri pres won't be great, it'd be nice to have 2 good pres. The 1 will still be good though.

are you looking to expand to many i/o's soon? i'm a little puzzled by your choice of a/d d/a and the lightbridge as your interface. the upsides are that you can eventually get 34 in/36 out with external converters and that you can run protools m-powered if those are important to you. if you're planning to do full band recording live, close micing all the drums and having vocals and all the other instruments live, and maybe to sum externally the i/o's will be helpful (once you add extra a/d d/a converters). you should have plenty of ins to spare. you'll need an external mixer or analog summing unit if you plan to sum outside of the box. if those are not important capabilities to you, i think you might have picked a different interface instead of the behringer and light bridge combo.

I went with the Lightbridge and Behringer because I wanted to start out with at more than 2 pres at a low price while still being able to use Pro Tools. I bought them both refurbished so it was a very low price while still being under a full warranty.

I ended up getting a Joe Meek ThreeQ rather than the Studio Projects pre.

I went with the Lightbridge and Behringer because I wanted to start out with at more than 2 pres at a low price while still being able to use Pro Tools. I bought them both refurbished so it was a very low price while still being under a full warranty.

I ended up getting a Joe Meek ThreeQ rather than the Studio Projects pre.
The joe meek will be coloured, and the SP may have been the better choice, but it shouldn't matter a great deal, especially since it is your first setup. The lightbridge seems good, especially if you got it cheap. It helps give your setup expandability.

Most of the reviews I read said the Three Q is pretty uncolored without the EQ and compressor on, so I figured it would give me some flexibility. This is my first personal setup, but I do have a bit of experience with SSL consoles and some high end pres and mics, so I am sure I will be a bit disappointed, but that is unavoidable.

Back