Critique my mix!

Niwde

Hey all!

I've been recording and mixing rock/pop for years and years as a hobby - I've been doing it on and off, but it's a recurring theme. Today I stumbled upon Cambridge MT and all the unmixed projects you can download there... which is really freaking awesome! So, I've been practicing a little bit with something that's out of my comfort zone. What do you think of this mix? (The original files can be found under Benjamin John - Better Way in case you're interested).

This mix was hard for me because it has a lot of dynamics in the instruments (acoustic guitar, electric guitar, ukelele, piano) and it has a ton of backing vocals. I'm used to mixing rock tracks, which is often like 15 tracks max. This one is 46 tracks xD thank god it's a short song though.

Anyway, let me know what you think!

Cheers!

Attachments

• Benjamin John - Better Way.mp3
    4.9 MB
I Googled and discovered it's run by Mike Senior. We both worked on the first Music Technology qualifications years ago - good bloke, knows his stuff.

Yeah he’s really knowledgeable. And the whole idea of providing the stems for songs (together with an example mix) is really awesome. That way you can get a lot of practice. The biggest benefit is that it’s not your own music, so you’re not as emotionally attached to it.

Yep! Great initial recordings make all the difference lol...

DAWs are just modern multi-track recorders. Your end result is still only as good as the flat track ;)

Yeah I didn’t do any crazy things to it, besides volume, panning, compression, some EQ and some delay. And of course adjusting the loudness some more in the mix bus. I had a bit of a problem with some rough sounds on the lead vocal (I feel the recording may have been a little too hot).

But what I was looking for is this: do you guys hear anything that maybe escaped my attention? Any nuances that could make my mix a little better?

Just a quick listen on ear buds...

Nothing jumps out to me as bad. The only thing I noticed was that the lead vocal had some sibalance and hissiness on words here and there. But not super bad.

Back