Critique my drumming?

When I'm recording musicians one instrument at a time I like to give them a simple drum loop rather than a click track. It tends to help with their feel as well as their timing.

Then the drums get laid down and the other instruments are offered another take with the new, real drums.

If this is your regular group, and you rehearse together often I strongly recommend that you set up a metronome that you all can hear while playing. Be it through a PA or on headphones, you'll find that once everybody gets used to this your individual and collective timing will improve greatly. It is a pain to get used to...

If this is your regular group, and you rehearse together often I strongly recommend that you set up a metronome that you all can hear while playing. Be it through a PA or on headphones, you'll find that once everybody gets used to this your individual and collective timing will improve greatly. It is a pain to get used to...

Tried it once, drummer didn't want to come to rehersals for the next 3 weeks:)

It's way too busy IMHO . You don't need to do a fill every bar. Cut back on the fills and then they will have more impact.

Also - like everyone else mentioned - it's not very tight. Sounds like all of you guys (bass and guitarist) need to practice on playing in time with each other.

Just another note too - maybe try playing in half time to mix it up.

thanks.

I forgot to mention that we just made that up and recorded it, so thats half the reason it wasnt very tight and was pretty bland.

Also, it was just me and the bassist, then the bassist overdubbed the guitar. I think one thing thats making it sound even more out of time is that we tracked the guitar twice, and maybe that wasnt spot on.

Oh well, whatever, this i just a for fun one anyway. Im glad i did it though, lots of good advice!

Last edited:
Get a metronome and play with other musicians who can keep time. A lot of the timing problems in this recording were not necessarily your fault.

You haven't answered how lung you've been playing. Relatively new? If you've just started you're making good progress. If you've been playing a while then you may want to consider a "wood shed" schedule on your own.

What do you mean by "wood shed"?

It means "practice," usually specifically referring to exercises. The wood shed was away from the main house, so you could work on repetitive exercises without driving the rest of the residents batshit insane.

If you ain't got good time...

Steve Gadd once gave a clinic back in the early 80’s. There was a nice Yamaha drum set on the stage. Steve comes on stage lookin all strung out…people clap. He proceeds to play straight, regular, set-your-watch notes on the snare drum only.
Bam, bam, bam, bam
No syncopation, no change in dynamics, just regular notes.
Bam, bam…

Every
Space
Between each
Note
Was exactly
The same…

This goes on for what seems like 10 minutes, I mean people are starting to squirm and mumble. He finally stops, gets up from his stool and says, “if you can’t do that, then you can’t do shit.” And he walks off the stage. That was the end of the clinic.
Best drum clinic ever! Seriously!

Some constructive advice:
Buy a metronome and set it to a very slow BPM like 50, so that it clicks on the quarter note and “beat box” to that, I mean just sing a drum part, don't play anything. In fact, if you hold your body still, it makes this more difficult. Then set it to click only on whole notes and do the same thing. After about 20 seconds you’ll see how difficult this is! After that play on your legs and do the same thing with the metronome.

Get a book called "Stick Control" by G. L. Stone. Read the text at the beginning of the book. On the next day practice the first page of exercises on a snare or pad only. Do this 5 times per week with a metronome. After you feel like you have this mastered do it for another few days. Then start moving your sticks around the drum set looking for cool little melodies and patterns that you can create. Try to play the same thing over and over (play each 2-bar exercise about 20 times). Do this for at least 4 sessions. Then move to page two and start over. DON’T GO FAST. Start at about 70 BPM but don’t go over 120.

This may seem counter intuitive: SLOWER IS MORE DIFFICULT and MORE REWARDING if you want to improve your time. Going fast before you internalize and master the time at a slower BPM will set you back. Developing an internal clock takes time. Most people could spend 3-12 months at 100 BPM or slower before they really get it.
You will start to notice improvements in your normal playing after about 2 weeks or so if you do these 5 times per week for about 20 minutes. After about one year of this, you will be getting calls for paying gigs. After 2 years you’ll be considered one of the best drummers in your town. After 3 years you’ll be giving clinics and making triple scale (about $225 per hour) as a session drummer.
OK maybe you won't be super rich and on the cover of Modern Drummer. But I can tell you with 100% certainty that if you have good time you will be a hot item. Good time is the most important thing a drummer can have BY FAR. Forget about chops, licks and speed for a good 2 years and focus on groove and time, then start to worry about speed and chops. Listen to drummer with good time and good groove: Phil Rudd, Steve Gadd, Jeff Porcaro, Josh Freeze, Bernard Purdie, Charlie Watts, and Clyde Stubblefield. Avoid Niel Peart, Jason Bittner, Lars Ulrich, and other flashy drummers with mediocre time.

Last edited:
where can i get that book??

Sounds like good advice

** edit**

never mind, I found it, and another one by the same author called "accents and rebounds", so I ordered them both, and I plan on mastering them both.

Thanks!

Last edited:
What do you mean by "wood shed"?

"Wood shed" means individual practice time. And by that I mean serious practice time where you work out the hard stuff you can't normally do. No one else around, and you dedicate your self to a regiment. Start by playing to a click (metronome) track and don't deviate from the click. Work on rudiments and independence exercises. Play to CD's until you have them note for note with the same tempo and without mistakes. ELEVATE YOUR ABILITIES! PRACTICE HARD!!!

Basically...hit the books!

Wood shed comes from when guys used to retreat out to the shed in the back yard and work licks until they had them down.

Thats probably because you're a guitarist. :D;)

We all know that guitarists have an uncanny ability to take constructive criticisms well.

I think the fact that I can play somewhat consistently on drums to a metronome and give my drummers advice on their timing is a credit to my own sense of timing thank you very much.
LESS STEREOTYPES MORE FUNK

where can i get that book??

Sounds like good advice

** edit**

never mind, I found it, and another one by the same author called "accents and rebounds", so I ordered them both, and I plan on mastering them both.

Thanks!

This may be the most important drum book ever published. Most pros spend a lifetime going through it, finding new ways to apply it to different instruments.
But don't forget the metronome if you don't already have one! Recording yourself is a ggod way to assess how you are doing.

Good luck and post any questions or progress.

I agree with quit trying to put a fill in everyplace. Over playing is far worse than under playing .Stick to the basics first and dont try a bouble kick yet you have to many other things to learn first.

Steve Gadd once gave a clinic back in the early 80’s. There was a nice Yamaha drum set on the stage. Steve comes on stage lookin all strung out…people clap. He proceeds to play straight, regular, set-your-watch notes on the snare drum only.
Bam, bam, bam, bam
No syncopation, no change in dynamics, just regular notes.
Bam, bam…

Every
Space
Between each
Note
Was exactly
The same…

This goes on for what seems like 10 minutes, I mean people are starting to squirm and mumble. He finally stops, gets up from his stool and says, “if you can’t do that, then you can’t do shit.” And he walks off the stage. That was the end of the clinic.
Best drum clinic ever! Seriously!

Some constructive advice:
Buy a metronome and set it to a very slow BPM like 50, so that it clicks on the quarter note and “beat box” to that, I mean just sing a drum part, don't play anything. In fact, if you hold your body still, it makes this more difficult. Then set it to click only on whole notes and do the same thing. After about 20 seconds you’ll see how difficult this is! After that play on your legs and do the same thing with the metronome.

Get a book called "Stick Control" by G. L. Stone. Read the text at the beginning of the book. On the next day practice the first page of exercises on a snare or pad only. Do this 5 times per week with a metronome. After you feel like you have this mastered do it for another few days. Then start moving your sticks around the drum set looking for cool little melodies and patterns that you can create. Try to play the same thing over and over (play each 2-bar exercise about 20 times). Do this for at least 4 sessions. Then move to page two and start over. DON’T GO FAST. Start at about 70 BPM but don’t go over 120.

This may seem counter intuitive: SLOWER IS MORE DIFFICULT and MORE REWARDING if you want to improve your time. Going fast before you internalize and master the time at a slower BPM will set you back. Developing an internal clock takes time. Most people could spend 3-12 months at 100 BPM or slower before they really get it.
You will start to notice improvements in your normal playing after about 2 weeks or so if you do these 5 times per week for about 20 minutes. After about one year of this, you will be getting calls for paying gigs. After 2 years you’ll be considered one of the best drummers in your town. After 3 years you’ll be giving clinics and making triple scale (about $225 per hour) as a session drummer.
OK maybe you won't be super rich and on the cover of Modern Drummer. But I can tell you with 100% certainty that if you have good time you will be a hot item. Good time is the most important thing a drummer can have BY FAR. Forget about chops, licks and speed for a good 2 years and focus on groove and time, then start to worry about speed and chops. Listen to drummer with good time and good groove: Phil Rudd, Steve Gadd, Jeff Porcaro, Josh Freeze, Bernard Purdie, Charlie Watts, and Clyde Stubblefield. Avoid Niel Peart, Jason Bittner, Lars Ulrich, and other flashy drummers with mediocre time.

THAT´S IT! Thanks Drumzealot... you nailed it!
That´s the kind of advice that you´ll get if you ask a pro drummer... Everything is timekeeping!!! It really is!

The only thing i can add is... try to listen to the Masters! Spend your time listening to the guys that change the history of music... Dream Theater is cool and the Foo Fighter rock hard, but go back and listen to Zep, The Who, Cream, Hendrix (if you like Rock), or check The Meters, James Brown, P-Funk (if you like Funky music -instead of Jamiroquai, for example-), and if you like Jazz and Fusion, well, a new world awaits for you... Return to Forever, anything with Miles Davis, Wheater Report, Mahavishnu, Al di Meola, Pat Metheny, Stanley Clark... Thousands of bands...

Enjoy the trip! :D

JuliánFernández;2747992 said:
THAT´S IT! Thanks Drumzealot... you nailed it!
That´s the kind of advice that you´ll get if you ask a pro drummer... Everything is timekeeping!!! It really is!

The only thing i can add is... try to listen to the Masters! Spend your time listening to the guys that change the history of music... Dream Theater is cool and the Foo Fighter rock hard, but go back and listen to Zep, The Who, Cream, Hendrix (if you like Rock), or check The Meters, James Brown, P-Funk (if you like Funky music -instead of Jamiroquai, for example-), and if you like Jazz and Fusion, well, a new world awaits for you... Return to Forever, anything with Miles Davis, Wheater Report, Mahavishnu, Al di Meola, Pat Metheny, Stanley Clark... Thousands of bands...

Enjoy the trip! :D

Man, The Meters!!!!! Say no more!

OK, maybe a little more.
Here's my (short) list of "must have" recordings that feature groove-oriented, musical, or very solid drumming. Even if you don’t like the genre, every serious drummer should dig in!!!
The Meters: The Meters
Steely Dan: Aja
Al Green: Greatest Hits
The Beatles: The White Album
James Brown: In the Jungle Groove
The Dead Kennedys: Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables
Tower of Power: Back to Oakland
The Descendents: Livage
Herbie Hancock and the Headhunters: Headhunters and/or Thrust (two albums)
Prince: Crystal Ball (this whole thing is one big groove lesson)
AC/DC: Back in Black
Led Zeppelin: II and/or Physical Graffiti
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers: Damn the Torpedoes
Weezer: Blue Album or Pinkerton
Parliament: Greatest Hits
Stevie Wonder: Songs in the Key of Life

Anything with Jim Keltner or Hal Blaine

I skipped jazz and Latin music.

you sound a bit "cymbal-happy" ie. to many crashes at odd times. It is a sort of primus-like groove, which means your following in some pretty huge footsteps drumming-wise. And personally, i would take that splash cymbal and throw it right out the window. A splash makes a GREAT frisbee.

Another thing- no book is going to make you a better drummer. Just Practice, listen to the greats and learn from them, and (this may or may not apply to every drumming style) hit the damn things really hard. Your doing a good job, keep it up!

i also agree with herm- a double kick is the last thing you should be thinking about.

Back