Critique Drum Mix

fivesixonesk8er

I just finished tracking some drums for a local band and would like some critique on the mix so far. Levels are still in the midst of tweaking, but I would like peoples opinion on the mix of the drums and what I could do to make it better.

Click the "Rough Drum Track" (You can download it too to get a better listen)
http://www.soundclick.com/axionrecordingstudios

Please comment on the track as they are going to be pressing this CD and I would like it to turn out as best as possible....

-Thanks

I'm not listening on my monitors, just earbuds. If sounds pretty good. The cymbals are hats are sounding a bit thin to me. Did you roll of a lot of lows from the OH's?

Sounds pretty good. Kik and snare are good. I agree that the cymbals and hats are a little brittle. Almost like a drum machine's cymbals. Also, the panning on the toms is good, but maybe TOO good...as in way too wide. I'd bring them in a bit so it doesn't sound like the drummer has 28' arms. In the last 4 or 5 seconds, something weird seems to happen. As if the snare mic cut out, or reversed polarity, or something.

Overall, sounds good. It helps that the drummer seems to have good tempo and is hitting the drums consistently.

It really needs some music around it. I agree that the cymbals are pretty thin. I like the wide tom panning. Kick and snare sound nice. Overall I'd say this is pretty dang good.

I agree with the consensus--this sounds great. I also agree that the cymbals sound a bit thin, but I'd add this: don't tweak 'em until you add the other tracks. I'm sure you know the old (and true) wisdom that what sounds good as a solo track may not work for a mix; conversely, what sounds great in the mix might not sound so great when soloed.

I find this to be true with cymbals often. A slightly thin sound will often help sit on top of the mix a bit better. Just my .02.

Could you take a minute to let us in on your mic setup for tracking these drums? I'm especially interested in how you got the kick sound. I really like it.

Last edited:
Could you take a minute to let us in on your mic setup for tracking these drums? I'm especially interested in how you got the kick sound. I really like it.

I use SM57s on Top & Bottom of the snare. Top is about 3/4" from the head, about 1/2" inside the rim, pointed towards the middle of the head. The Bottom is about 2 inches from the bottom head, about 1 inch in.

For the Toms I used Audix F10's (Came in the Fusion Drum Pack). I put those about 1/2" from the head, pointed down on the tom edge.

For Overheads, I have MXL 991's, about 2 feet above the cymbals, pointed strait down on either side of the kit, over the two crashes.

For the Kick, I used the Audix F12 (came in the Fusion Pack). I took off the front head, put the mic about 1 foot back from the edge of the drum, centered in the middle of the head. I then "seal" off the kick with a comforter, making a sort of tunnel (seem to makes= the kick sound nice and full)

I use SM57s on Top & Bottom of the snare. Top is about 3/4" from the head, about 1/2" inside the rim, pointed towards the middle of the head. The Bottom is about 2 inches from the bottom head, about 1 inch in.

For the Toms I used Audix F10's (Came in the Fusion Drum Pack). I put those about 1/2" from the head, pointed down on the tom edge.

For Overheads, I have MXL 991's, about 2 feet above the cymbals, pointed strait down on either side of the kit, over the two crashes.

For the Kick, I used the Audix F12 (came in the Fusion Pack). I took off the front head, put the mic about 1 foot back from the edge of the drum, centered in the middle of the head. I then "seal" off the kick with a comforter, making a sort of tunnel (seem to makes= the kick sound nice and full)

Thanks for the info. I'm a couple of weeks away from my first real go at recording a full kit. I've got comparable mics (in some cases the same) so I'm encouraged by your results. I'd be thrilled with that sound for my project.

Maybe I'll start a thread when I get there and folks can see if I succeeded...

I would say it's good, I just think that the toms are panned a little too hard left and right. It might not sound as good in mono, I'd bring them just a little bit more in to the center. But that's just me.

-James'

When you describe the tom micing process, what do you mean by "down the edge"?

I usually just have the tom mics pointed directly at the center of the head or sraight down.

I don't know what you mean by that, do you have it point across the head?

-James':confused:

When you describe the tom micing process, what do you mean by "down the edge"?

I usually just have the tom mics pointed directly at the center of the head or sraight down.

I don't know what you mean by that, do you have it point across the head?

-James':confused:

The mic is almost pointing down. It is pointed in a little towards the center, but the mic is about 1/2" from the head.....

Back