Creative JBox3 vs. Iriver IHP-120

Giampy Car

I've found, while serching about a portable media recorder, this new storage devices. Do you think this will be the DAT replacement for home recording? In any case i think it's much better than MD.
Has anybody experience with this products?
Regards

Re: iHP-120

Lorddiagram said:
I have experience with the iRiver iHP-120.

You can record MP3s or WAv files through the units line-in or the digital optical input. It has a built-in mic too.

Pretty cool

lD

What kind of line input does it have? stereo 1/8" or dual RCA's? I kinda doubt RCAs, but that would be cool.

Lorddiagram said:
stereo 1/8 and optical for input.

So you could probably pick up a Hosa cable or something similar that has dual RCA's to 1/8" input. That would be pretty cool.

What does it encode at? Their site sucks for details.

I believe rec.audio.pro had some discussions on this, and alot of those folks believe that the iRiver could be a great DAT replacement. Do a seach on Google Groups.

Me, I just have my Dell DJ for listening to tunes, but I think it's great!

NJB3 is widely used for portable recording as a DAT replacement. Will run up to about 6 hours on its batteries.

Mic pre is beyond bad.

Built in A/D conversion is acceptable, so you can go direct to it from a line-level source (as I often do from FM) with very good results for the money.

But . . . it has S/PDIF in (optical), allowing use of an outboard coverter and mic-pre. If you use this/these, you will get DAT quality (16/48), with far more convenience and for far less money. Plus it's a great mp3 player with a line out.

For more info, check out Yahoo group called NJB3Tapers
Also check out multiple discussions on www. taperssection.com

There are some drawbacks to Iriver relative to NJB3, but I don't remember what they are.

with either one, what preamp would you use? It probably be better to find a 2 channel mic pre with an optical out.

Polaris20 said:
with either one, what preamp would you use? It probably be better to find a 2 channel mic pre with an optical out.

Exactly right. I have done this with the M-Audio Duo and (mostly) the Roland MMP-2. They output coax, so you need a coax to digital converter ($15 at rat shack). I have also used a Sound Professionals battert operated mic pre for compact portable use with NJB3s internal A/D converters. Many people highly recommend Edirol UA-5 with NJB3.

Back