Creating harmonic distortion?

Johnalex

ok,

So I am doing a project, a critical listening sample disc. One of the things I want to include on it is examples of different percentiles of Total Harmonic Distortion (THD).

Like a recorded peice of music with 1% THD then 5% THD and so on. Is there a plug in or a way I can add percentages of THD to a recording?

Thanks
John B.

Johnalex said:
ok,

So I am doing a project, a critical listening sample disc. One of the things I want to include on it is examples of different percentiles of Total Harmonic Distortion (THD).

Like a recorded peice of music with 1% THD then 5% THD and so on. Is there a plug in or a way I can add percentages of THD to a recording?

Thanks
John B.

Easy way: record the music played back through your monitors at different volume levels using a mic with low SPL handling. As you turn it up, THD will increase :)

Second easy way: Use a starved-plate tube pre, like the ART MP or one of those. As you turn up the tube gain, THD will increase.

is there a way of me knowing what percentage I am getting?

I know there has to be some sort of software that will do this.

Amazing what one can find in about 3 minutes by actually performing an Internet search for the right keywords; in this case, "harmonic distortion software" (d'oh!) :eek: .

You can get a trial demo copy of DSSF3 here.

G.

:D Free software :D

Actually I do my calculations the semi-old fashioned way, using Excel (along with Wavelab, which does really nice spectrum analysis).

Anyway, if you get that free software, run a 1kHz test tone through whatever method you use to generate distortion. When you hit the THD you want, use the same setup to distort the music. Be sure to match levels between the test tone and the music!

wow this is maddness. i love it!

then again, im one who hooks an analog frequency generator up to a speaker and creates 'special effects' when im bored...

i've never thought to induce THD in a recording. it would sound great on a techno bass part. thanks for this thread!

awesome...exactly what I needed!!!!!!!!

hmm....now the hard part. Matching levels and not cliping converters.

Back