Creating drum loops

Tony-bobs

I bought the Steven Slate EX pack from audiomidi. What else do I need to start actually building drum patterns? I thought there would be some sort of sequencer included with it, but either there isn't or i'm not smart enough to get it figured out. I have access to a cheap midi controller, but I would prefer to use my keyboard. I use reaper, so something that would be usable with that would be best. Mac or PC, I have both, but I would prefer to keep everything on my mac.

I bought the Steven Slate EX pack from audiomidi. What else do I need to start actually building drum patterns? I thought there would be some sort of sequencer included with it, but either there isn't or i'm not smart enough to get it figured out. I have access to a cheap midi controller, but I would prefer to use my keyboard. I use reaper, so something that would be usable with that would be best. Mac or PC, I have both, but I would prefer to keep everything on my mac.

i dont know the software but I imagine that it doesnt come with a sequencer...you'll need to use your DAW or separate software...also not all software allows you to use your pc keyboard to enter beats..

I use Ableton Live and it does..but if you already own a DAW this may prove and expensive way to use your drum samples...another one i use is Izotopes Idrum ($59) which can be used as a standalone or within a DAW and allows you to use your keyboard..it also comes with some built in patterns and factory kits...maybe try the demo??

sorry I cant comment on the steven slate stuff...do check your own DAW and its manual before splashing out anymore cash

EDIT: forgot to mention, when using your PC/MAC keyboard to enter beats you have no physical control over velocity and this has to be changed manually...thats the advantage of using a midi controller/keyboard...worth thinking about

I have access to a cheap controller, and I'm planning on getting a better one soon I just haven't needed one until now and I was hoping to not have to set up everything everytime. The software is hosted by Native Instruments, and each sample is .nki, which is there own thing. it looks like i might have to purchase a sequencer from Native to make it work?

I have access to a cheap controller, and I'm planning on getting a better one soon I just haven't needed one until now and I was hoping to not have to set up everything everytime. The software is hosted by Native Instruments, and each sample is .nki, which is there own thing. it looks like i might have to purchase a sequencer from Native to make it work?

is the nki file not the whole kit file? im sure there will be a folder with wav samples..have a look in the programme files
iDrum supports wav and aif files ftr

there is no sequencer from Native except Maschine I think, and that includes a hardware controller so really thats not an option unless you've got $500 lying around

the .nki files are as far as I can go without opening Kontakt player. I assume that means they aren't .wav files

the .nki files are as far as I can go without opening Kontakt player. I assume that means they aren't .wav files

there should be a separate folder with the samples...the nki files are just like a template, you dont open them to find the wav files...

dunno if Im being clear..its hot here :)

All i'm finding are the instrument files(.nki) the mulitis (.nkm) and some midi loops that are being processed with a piano voice because I have no drum voices to assign to each part. it's kind of amusing, but totally useless to me...

All i'm finding are the instrument files(.nki) the mulitis (.nkm) and some midi loops that are being processed with a piano voice because I have no drum voices to assign to each part. it's kind of amusing, but totally useless to me...

this may be fruitless...sorry i think the library will be the nkm files...

ah plan B...Reaper...do you know how to insert the drums into multi channels in Reaper?

well between you and a couple other threads that I have been reading, I figured out how to actually get them into reaper via VSTi plugins, not really sure why i didn't think of that on my own. my problem now is that while the midi track tells me that there is a kick drum playing, there is no sound, so i'll just have to do some more playing around until i realize that i'm an idiot and the answer was right in front of me the whole time!:rolleyes:

well once youve got sound coming out them insert an audio track for each drum and in the I/O of each track set the input to each drum on your drum programme then you can EQ etc each track on its own*....thats when it gets really fun, i love drum programmes

* there's a wee bit more to it than that, check with a reaper user or post up in the reaper forum :)

I had been trying all of this on my pc, cuz I was updating my mac. I must have loaded something wrong. When I downloaded everything on my mac, I pretty much just opened reaper and went to town! Kontakt showed up as a VSTi and I was able to use the virtual midi keyboard to build a drum track easy-peesey- lemon-squeezy. Thanks for all the help!

The SSD EX came with some pre-made beats & fills too, you can just drag-n-drop 'em onto your MIDI track. A lot easier than making them from scratch, plus you can tweak to 'em to fit your songs. The beats from EZ Drummer & Addictive Drums work too, you just have to manually move some of the hits to maket them match up (the hi hat in SSD is different than EZ for example). For $20, the SSD EX is a really good deal........

Back