Create convolution reverb from CD?

Marais

Hello,
Using many different convolution reverbs with Space Designer and great libraries such as :
OpenAIR | The Open Acoustic Impulse Response Library

I as a performer had a particularly nice acoustic in a museum.
Very difficult to get back there (very far away) and of course bring all the equipment necessary to create an IR myself.

Is there anyway to "back engineer" an acoustic from an existing recording?

For instance with the IR utility in Logic Pro?

Thanks for any tech advice!

If there is anywhere on the CD with a good strong impulse (a snare hit might almost work) all by itself and then a full reverb tail...

OTOH - A full band performance of a song or two would come close to exciting most of the frequency range at some point along the way. If you had a recording of the same performance from close and far, you could probably deconvolve the two and get...something... Even a mix of the mics on the stage might be enough to deconvolve and get something useable. It works in theory. :)

Thanks! Two viola da gambas VERY SOFT!
Here are some extracts
https://itunes.apple.com/fr/album/sainte-colombe-suites-pour/id270766001

Suites pour viole seule de Sainte-Colombe if the URL doesn't work on amazon or Itunes by Dunford...

I'm sure there's a passage with something a bit louder than soft followed by reverb so I'll go and fish for that. Thanks for the ideaR.

Maybe my dear wife will be content with some of the IRs already available.
But as the resident "mad scientist" I may try to back engineer from this...

Last question would you use the IR utility to create it or some other even more clever way?

The real problem is after importing the resonance (I made a .wav file) into IR utility the disconvolute button stays grey!
So I cannot deconvolve =Capture d’écran 2015-12-21 à 14.02.04.jpg
Any work around as the file "pure" and not deconvolved of course is TERRIBLE!!!

Last edited:
Back